Tiny Tenor vs Blackbird Clara

But let me tell you if I had an additional $1K or so fall into my lap, I would spring for a Clara to take with me on rock climbing trips because of how brutal the environment is. I'm sure it could survive being pitched off a ledge. I was watching videos of their construction and they seem very strong.

I have a Clara that I got used. It is a great ukulele, but it is not as indestructible as you might think. Ekoa is not Carbon Fiber.

John

A regular wood uke works just fine for cragging... or East Face of Whitney. In the Winter. Mostly biodegradable if you kick it off the ledge but you wouldn't because a good climber would sling & biner it to their harness or anchor.

Save the Clara for basecamp.
Fast foward to 2:57 for the uke part. Last verse is my fave.

https://vimeo.com/2912989

But let me tell you if I had an additional $1K or so fall into my lap, I would spring for a Clara to take with me on rock climbing trips because of how brutal the environment is. I'm sure it could survive being pitched off a ledge. I was watching videos of their construction and they seem very strong.

Sold my tiny tenor because I didn’t like the neck feel. Loved the sound of the mango, though. I prefer a slight radius, which is on my Clara. Love the sound of the Clara, too, but it’s not what I consider mellow.

I like the sound of the Clara, but hate how it looks and it is as heavy as a tank. If those last two things don’t bother you, I think it’s a good choice. I have the Romero ST concert which is a Tiny Tenor body and a concert scale neck. If you prefer the concert scale, I’d choose that over the TT. “Short neck” instruments are rare. To me, it is the most comfortable shape to play so it’s generally the one I pick up first. I am impressed with the build quality, and especially the intonation, which is something I’m picky about. It has better intonation than any other instrument in that price range I have tried. I have the solid Koa model. It is louder than the mahogany, but still not particularly loud. Sounds better picked than strummed, IMO.

hmmm, interesting... The reported weigh on BB's site is 1.1lb / 499g, about the weight of a sort of light, wood tenor.

I like the sound of the Clara, but hate how it looks and it is as heavy as a tank. If those last two things don’t bother you, I think it’s a good choice. I have the Romero ST concert which is a Tiny Tenor body and a concert scale neck. If you prefer the concert scale, I’d choose that over the TT. “Short neck” instruments are rare. To me, it is the most comfortable shape to play so it’s generally the one I pick up first. I am impressed with the build quality, and especially the intonation, which is something I’m picky about. It has better intonation than any other instrument in that price range I have tried. I have the solid Koa model. It is louder than the mahogany, but still not particularly loud. Sounds better picked than strummed, IMO.

You might try looking at cases for pineapple concerts. Mine is in a Reunion Blues Continental, but I doubt that is any smaller than what you have. I'd be interested to hear what you learn.

I ended up getting a Reunion Blues Continental for my Tiny Tenor as well, when they went down to $60 on Amazon. Still haven't traveled since I got it, but I do prefer it immensely over the original, which is no better than the Uke Crazy foam cases (which I hate, mostly because of the flimsy zippers, and because some sellers refer to them as "hard cases", which they're definitely not). I actually had to add padding around the body to make it fit snugly in the RBC, but heck - now it's even better padded than ever, so it's a win-win.

bratsche

I ended up getting a Reunion Blues Continental for my Tiny Tenor as well, when they went down to $60 on Amazon. Still haven't traveled since I got it, but I do prefer it immensely over the original, which is no better than the Uke Crazy foam cases (which I hate, mostly because of the flimsy zippers, and because some sellers refer to them as "hard cases", which they're definitely not). I actually had to add padding around the body to make it fit snugly in the RBC, but heck - now it's even better padded than ever, so it's a win-win.

bratsche

Oh, I'm glad you like it. I agree, it's much better than those foam cases, in every way. And yeah, the foam cases are sold as hard cases by the same folks who call laminates solid wood. That's about what I paid from B&H Photo a couple years ago around Christmas. I hear their new model is not quite as bulky.

I love it for travel--you can pad it with some of your clothes! At home I use an Oahu actual hard case that just barely fits. HMS sent the wrong color case when I ordered for my concert uke, then sent the right one and said to keep both, so I have a spare and choices! I'm sure the RB is as protective, plus it has lots of big pockets and comfortable carrying options.

Top Bottom