Season 303 - お名前は何ですか?

Aja

Over the years, I've written a few songs about co-workers, a couple of which would have fit the theme. The one I was hoping to do would have needed the help of the song's subject to make the video, and as luck would have it he was out of the office all week. Steve Ross is one of the guys who goes out as an emergency responder when there's an oil or chemical spill. Years ago, I wrote him a theme song, for the TV action/adventure show "Steve Ross, Emergency Response":

Steve Ross, Steve Ross
He's the man, he's the boss
Cleans that spill at any cost
Saves the day when all hope is lost!

Plan B: A few years ago, I was working on learning "Aja" by Steely Dan. It's finally time to commit it to pixels. The title is the name of a Korean woman that Donald Fagen once met.

This is a song from Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes. I know it mostly from a Fairport Convention cover. The song is called "Open the Door Homer", but the chorus is "Open the door, Richard." Bob Dylan is one inscrutable dude.

Ryan asked if I had one more in me for this week, so here it is. I love this Buck Owens song, but this was a challenge to pull off, between the fills, the singing, and the recitation, a lot going in here.

Last edited:
Maxine - Traveling Wilburys

This wasn't on the original version of Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1, but they did include it on the 2007 reissue as a bonus track.

Important announcement

Ryan asked if I had one more in me for this week, so here it is. I love this Buck Owens song, but this was a challenge to pull off, between the fills, the singing, and the recitation, a lot going in here.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE HAVE REACHED 150 SONGS

And how fitting that Trent got it.

Thanks for spoiling me this week guys. It's been a blast.

I've got one winging its way over in about half hour Ryan, I recorded it this morning at a friends place in Fareham before I headed home..............I think Nathan will appreciate it !! Lol

I could not have done this one taker without my friend Christine whose professionalism at Imitating a doorbell with the use of a Christmas decoration was paramount to the success of this production. ;)

One for Nathan ..............

And my still in the closet song for the week was Jerry Jeff Walker's LA Freeway - Here's to you old skinny Dennis!

Here is my offering for the week, The Ballad of Curtis Loew, by Lynyrd Skynyrd. For me, it's one of those great songs that you hear only one time on the radio, years ago, and then never again, so I was glad I could remember the song title and find it on YouTube. I've always liked its message about how music brings people together, and to never judge a book by its cover! Hope you enjoy. :)

This goes out to BigDaddyUker. When I first met BDU in person was at World Ukulele Congress #7 (2015). I remember him playing this song there a time or two.

I had to change this to Dm from Am.

Dangit, I got the number wrong! I meant 303.
Here is Kimo Hula, by Helen Desha Beamer.
The name song is a big part of Hawaiian culture, often given as a gift by the composer.
This song is a about a visit to Jim (Kimo) Henderson's lovely home in Pi`ihonua on the Big Island.
Click here for lyrics and a translation:
http://www.huapala.org/Kil/Kimo_Hula.html

One more for this week, a quickie one taker...Ok two takes. I recorded this awhile back and put it on the Island, but re-recorded it just now, I had kinda forgotten about it, but I wanna keep it in my repertoire cause I like it, and the very few times I did in front of people it seemed to get over pretty well. It's an obscure song. I don't have the picking part totally right or smooth, so gotta keep working on it. There's an easier way than I'm doing it, meaning I could play more open notes, but seems I screw up more then too. I also realized I never played a tune on my Firefly for this week, and I wanted to correct that. My new banjo uke had been getting all the love. lol

Notes:

Johnny R is Johnny Rodriguez.

Gilley is Mickey Gilley.

I couldn't find any pictures of Roy Acuff with his yo-yo, except for some where he was apparently teaching Richard Nixon a trick, and I didn't want to include Nixon in the slide show. But anyway, in live performances, Acuff was known to do yo-yo tricks during instrumental breaks when he wasn't going to be playing his fiddle.

Ralph Emery wasn't exactly a county star, although early in his career he did a couple of spoken-word singles, after the style of Jimmy Dean. He was better known first as a DJ/announcer who became the host of radio and TV shows in which he interviewed actual country stars. I've listened to a lot of his shows, because there's some really valuable country music history in there, but honestly to me he always seemed to be kind of a ****head. But for many years, for someone in country music to be invited onto his show meant that they had "made it," in the same way that many comedians used to regard the "Tonight Show."

The red, white, and blue guitar is Buck Owens.

Earl is Earl Scruggs. Willie is of course Willie Nelson. Mel is Mel Tillis.

I couldn't find any pictures of Roy Clark with the goofy cap he sometimes wore. I think it looked kind of like that cap that Goober wore on the Andy Griffith Show, and I think he only wore it on "Hee-Haw" occasionally.

Charley Pride's "gimmick" is that he is an African-American country star, which is still pretty rare.

Harold, Phil, Don, and Lou are the first names of the original Statler Brothers, who sang this song.

Last edited:
Top Bottom