Season 303 - お名前は何ですか?

Just messing around, really. Mainly because I don’t have time for a real song tonight. Maybe nothing at all would been better :confused:

Here's one by Stonewall Jackson. I like this song cause it's funny, but it's also sad and angry.

Here's another I've wanted to work up for a long time. No shocker I'm sure, but I'm a huge fan of The Grand Ole Opry back in the day, wish I could have been around back then, so I dig this song. It's by Big Al Downing, one of the few black country singers of his era, who was a fabulous entertainer. Not sure why some of my videos have a hum in them and some don't??

B.W. Stevenson was from Dallas. His real name was Louis Charles Stevenson; "B.W." was initials for his nickname Buckwheat, or so says wikipedia. He died at only 38 while undergoing heart surgery. This was his biggest hit.

Trying to find songs that won't otherwise be played...stumbled on this one off an old Flogging Molly record. This is not the original version of the tune, or even close in it's lyrics, but it does the name Roisin Dubh as a metaphor for Ireland. In any event...still growling through this cold.
To Youth My Sweet Roisin Dubh- Flogging Molly.

I’m writing material for two albums—one about dogs and one about true crime in Boston. Momo the border collie inspired this one.

One that I am surprised hasn’t been done, and that I’m guessing TCK is trying to avoid (see above). Some early British Invasion on your Thursday, or whenever you decide to view it.

I don't often get a chance to try an Alestorm song. Melodica duet between stanzas, and a pirate choir for the last chorus.

P.S. It's snowing here. I am not excited about it.

SOTU 303: "You've Heard My Voice" by Shawn Phillips (1964) Covered by ddanner

I know that this entry is not in "full compliance" with this Season's Rules, but hopefully it's close enough that Ryan won't have me send it to the Island! :)

Shawn Phillips never states the singer's name in his song, "You've Heard My Voice," but he assures us that we "know the name." As many times as I have listened to and sung this song I am still not sure who or what that name might be. I have my guesses, but I'd love to hear from any of you what your interpretation might be.

I've had audio editing problems on this one, and some of the lyrics are a bit muffled, so I can try to edit the lyrics and chords back into this post if anyone would like them.

Hope you enjoy it!

knock knock!

who's there?

theresa!

theresa who?

theresa green!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!

but............. YES!

[video=youtube;IFrY00COOPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFrY00COOPk[/vdeo]

Better than Theresa May!

That's another 20 videos that have come in overnight - on a Thursday! 119 videos on the playlist now if you don't count my two, you guys are spoiling me. Another catch up session this morning methinks. Keep em coming guys. Can we hit 150?

If you want songs with names in them, look no further than Tom Russell. His songs have a cast list that includes legendary cowboys, bandits, elderly relatives, and neighbours with a good story to tell. The first few lines of this one jumped out at me from my car stereo a couple of days ago, and I knew it had to be done.

For those that don't know, Iron Eyes Cody was an actor, apparently a Cherokee born in Oklahoma, who appeared in well over 100 film & TV productions, and campaigned for Native American rights for many years. But in 1996, three years before he died, his sister revealed that he was actually born in Louisiana to Italian parents. He disputed it. So, can an Italian play a Native American? Can a bloke from Yorkshire sing a song about him? Can blue men sing the whites?

Here's another one from me. One of my favourite songs ever. I'd like to spend a bit more time with it at some point to try and incorporate the sax and piano parts a bit more but for now here's a quick take. The take before this one was much better but my phone ran out of space halfway through unbeknownst to me .

Seems I inspired Nathan to do a bit of uking too.

Nellie the Elephant.

Not on your Nelly (what does that even mean??? )
Second attempt with percussion and sub bass.

Better than Theresa May!
Anythings better than 'Theresa the Appeaser' (damn womans got no backbone and her cowardice will cost us dearly) !!

Anyways heres another quickie from me, 'Penny' this time ..................

Last edited:
Top Bottom