Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Thought Process Prior to Selling or Keeping Your 'Ukes

Default What's Your Thought Process Prior to Selling or Keeping Your 'Ukes

Just wondering what your thoughts are when considering selling or keeping your 'ukes. I started playing in 2013 and continued until about late 2015 but then stopped. I thought playing would be something I would do during retirement but the thrill is gone. I occasionally pick up a 'uke that rests on the coffee table and strum a song or tow but my days of jamming for an hour are past.

So here I sit with a collection of 'ukes. I don't need the money although I could sell a couple for a set of Callaway irons (my new passion) but in the back of my mind I think that since most of the 'ukes are vintage they have the chance to hold or better yet rise in value if I keep them. No one in my family is the least bit interested in playing 'uke, at least not now.

So, all you sellers/keepers out there, what pivotal thoughts compel you to sell or keep?
    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” ― Catherine Aird

I tend to sell things off that I am not using to simplify my life, clear out clutter, whatever. I don't want to hang on stuff just to have it.

Great question. I have only given away or sold 4 ukuleles so far—a Cordoba 15CM to a family member, two Enya Mahogany laminates that were $20 to family members (bought as gifts) and my Pono Pro Classic (sold on UU). With the Pono, I loved how it looked and it played great. I played my less impressive (visually) Opio Tenor (Sapele) more. When a used Acacia Opio Concert came up in UU, I had to buy it (and I love it) and I had to be honest about how much I was playing the Pono and sold it. No regrets.

I was basically given an Aklot Concert for review—and I would recommend it although their business model caused Barry Maz to pull his review. Anyway, I like it—but at Thanksgiving my niece, who is going into worship music, saw the two ukuleles I gave to family members and said, “I have been wanting to buy a ukulele.” So my wife asked me if we could buy another Enya laminate to give away—and they aren’t $20 any more (probably never again). Then I remembered the Aklot and told my wife we could give her that, with a actual shoulder strap and new tuner. My wife was worried that I was giving up a personal item.

Honestly, now that I have some very nice instruments (no true K Brand), I could easily go down to my two Opios, my Martin S1, my Outdoor Ukulele, and my Bonanza Ameoba Tenor. Everything else could go if needed. So maybe some things will pop up here on UU. Probably not.

And I’m not done shopping—just done for a while.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Why do I hang on to my ukes?
    (I've been learning to play harmonicas lately.)
    Because I'll return to playing them again.

I may not be as involved with the Seasons threads as I was, but it is nice to pick up a uke to play a simple tune on it, just for the difference. Trying to learn too many instruments is my problem, since I found out that I could actually play one.

Over my 18 months of uking, I amassed quite a few - I needed to find what was right for me.
    I have found what I like now, & they are the ones that I use the most.
    (Even my UAS has likely stopped. )

I gave away 6 of my lower priced ukes, because I liked the thought that someone else could get to enjoy them, & they weren't worth the hassle of trying to sell.

So here I sit, still with quite a selection to choose from, & I like to give them all a turn every now & again, though I pick up my small bodied tenors, or my long neck sopranos the most, I sometimes plug in an electric & give the built in effects of my amp an airing.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

“So, all you sellers/keepers out there, what pivotal thoughts compel you to sell or keep?”

I know that I keep too much stuff in my life and think that it does hold me back to some extent. However I’m not good at selling things and, as I mostly manage to live well within my means, I don’t need the cash. Keeping stuff does enable me to return to past hobbies and interests after a few years or decades, so it gives you flexibility. That same stuff though takes up physical space and ties up cash too that could be better used in other ways. There’s a balance point between those two situations and it’s differerent for us all. The vintage Ukes that you have might hold or appreciate in value, alternatively your estate might later sell them at a clearance price whereas a sale by you now would have a much better long term result, they might also degrade in storage too or the market might collapse (stuff like that happens). To secure the situation it might be wisest to sell the vintage Ukes, or most of them, now - to me that has a plus of enabling other folk to enjoy them now and actively maintain them for future users.

I don’t play expensive Ukes but I have given away several, it makes space in my life and home for other things and they have given joy to others. Following my own advice is a challenge, but in moderation I suggest selling some of the long unused stuff that’s either taking up the most space or tying up the most cash to give room in your life for other stuff.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 12-03-2017 at 01:50 AM.

Your situation is a bit different than the usual buyer/seller as you are drifting away from the ukulele towards golf. I did the opposite, I was a golfaholic who found salvation in the ukulele

I have bought and sold a lot of ukuleles. The ones I have kept through all the buying and selling have met all these criteria in order.

#1 is sound, I have to absolutely love the sound.
    #2 is playability because if I can't play it well it will not sound good
    #3 is looks, coming from a woodworking background ukes with beautiful high quality woods capture my heart.

So deciding on what ukes you should keep, make your own list of "criteria" and see how the instruments you own place themselves.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

It’s tough. I have a tendency to hoard. (Happy miser) So, I work extra hard at moving things out. If I gave it up, I’d only keep one.
    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing! - Eric Idle

I like to buy expensive stuff in stores if possible. All my ukes, though not particularly expensive to some of you, were bought in stores. I usta go to a store (2 or 3 good ones nearby), pick one out, give it a try in the store, and then, if I liked it okay, I’d buy it. If it needed some adjustment, I’d take it back and have it done, usually free. I still have all of them including two banjoleles which I consider “little banjos” now.

My banjos and a mandobanjo are a different story though. I’ve had to buy them from the internet. I really like to deal with Elderly but I’ve bought from Amazon too. Most of of them are Gold Tones, which I like a lot, but I have a good Deering too. I hate to buy all the same kind, but I’m lookin’ at a very nice Gold Tone 5 string A scale now. Banjos cost much more than ukes, so I try to be more careful.

I’ve had very good luck so far, and I still own, and play, all that I’ve bought. I’d probably sell 1 or 2 of them, but I’m not working at it. I don’t like my red Flea or one of my banjoleles, but they play okay.

I really believe that it’s the player that’s important and not the instrument. Some are good whatever they play.
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 12-03-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Thank the Lord for the memories about the good old days.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

I ask myself these questions (but not aloud, of course):

1) Have I stopped playing it regularly?

2) Do I no longer look forward to playing it?

3) Does it essentially duplicate something I already have?

4) Will selling it help me justify buying something else (not necessarily another ukulele, but definitely something music-related).

If I answer “yes” to two of those, I start writing up an ad and taking photos. (At least that’s the best-case scenario.)
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) • Godin MultiUke • KoAloha Opio concert (Baggs 5.0) • Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) • Kala Longneck Soprano laminate • 12 Makala Dolphins/Sharks • 1 Mahalo soprano • Partridge in a Pear Tree

You think these people have a thought process? LOL

They're all just crazy Uke players.

I just posted this in fun, I couldn't resist.

Looking For My Next Uke!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Thread Information