JBovier Ukes?

Brendan688

Reaction score
Hello, total beginner here, from a guitar background. I’ve been messing around with my kids Uke for sometime but it’s time to upgrade from a toy! I was really looking for a Kala, specifically the scallop in mahogany. But I went to a big box store and tried several models. I wouldn’t say that I disliked the Kala’s, but the cordobas just sounded and felt better to me.
I liked the tenor size, and was leaning to the 20T, but they only had it with electronics, which I wouldn’t use. On another site, I saw a really good deal on Jbovier ukes. I see they have a lot of mandolin reviews, but can’t find a single one on ukes.
The two models they have in tenor are a zebra wood and a bocote. Both are a spruce top.
Was hoping someone would have experience with that maker, or perhaps have a tenor model they are looking to sell. It’s just for around the house, so I’m trying to stay around $200 or so.
Thanks for any advise.

Never heard of them, but when you buy your uke, pretty much everyone here will tell you to buy from someone who does an inspection and setup (included free in the price) rather than the typical big box stores who don't do anything to them. This assures you'll get a good instrument.
I'm a big fan of Cordoba myself. I usually buy from Elderly Instruments online. Also, be sure to check out MIM's ukes, Ukerepublic, fan-uke, and allstringsnylon.com (they sell Cordoba too). Each place has various brands.
Kala is generally highly regarded here as well as Ohana and some others. I've played and had examples by all, but also currently leaning more towards Cordoba as my favorite. Lots of models in your price range. I have a 15CM that was $99 at Elderly that I love. It's an inexpensive budget priced instrument, but the one I got from them is excellent in every way. Of course it's all a personal thing though when it comes to finding the right instrument.

Top Bottom