Heya From Canada!

Sloom

Reaction score
I'm Sarah, and the first time I played the ukulele was when I was about 10 years old, when my mom signed me up for lessons at school. There were only a few lessons, and once they were over I stopped playing for 6 years.

It wasn't until this summer, in July, when I started playing again. I did volunteering in this youth group and a volunteer buddy of mine brought his ukulele. I was so intrigued by it I picked up my old ukulele, which I haven't used since elementary school, and started playing again.

Since then, the instrument has brought so much joy into my life, I doubt I'd be the same person I am now without the ukulele. The uke has really brought out the musical person in me as well, and has gave me so much confidence to perform music-- in fact, this December I'll be performing in my school's holiday assembly with my ukulele :eek:

I currently own an orange Mahalo soprano ukulele, and I already asked my parents for a new, higher quality instrument this Christmas.

I've been wanting to get involved with a ukulele community, and I'm excited to get more involved in this forum :D

(man, I didn't expect to write such a long post lol)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forums - great introduction!!!!

A very excellent introduction. Welcome from a fellow Canadian who found music through the ukulele as well. Congratulations on your upcoming performance at your schools holiday assembly.

Keep having fun and keep hanging around here, you will learn a lot from so many helpful people.

Welcome Sloom. A nice introduction as bsfloyd and Dave have said. Stay warm. giggle.

Welcome to the forum, I'm so glad you found your way here.

Hi Sarah, and welcome back to Ukulele World! and welcome to UU.
Do you have any suggestions as to how we could get ukulele class introduced into American schools?
Kids need uke more than ever!

Hi Sloom......love the name ! You can go a long way as Sloom.
You've tapped into a great crowd here at U/U.
I'm here in Paris, Ontario, and loving the uke.

Hi Sarah, and welcome back to Ukulele World! and welcome to UU.
Do you have any suggestions as to how we could get ukulele class introduced into American schools?
Kids need uke more than ever!

Thank you for the welcome!
The program I participated in when I was younger was called Ukulele Kids. I searched them up and they can do a program in the US!
Here's a link: http://www.ukulelekids.org/
From there, the school can contact the site for a program or workshop set up at their school.
I think this is something a teacher could bring up to their class and have enough kids interested enough to sign up.

Hi Sloom......love the name ! You can go a long way as Sloom.
You've tapped into a great crowd here at U/U.
I'm here in Paris, Ontario, and loving the uke.

Thank you!! my name actually comes from the song Sloom by Of Monsters and Men, the word meaning "a light sleep; doze, slumber." There's something about the word I find really pretty. :eek:

Top Bottom