Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Played new Seagull steel & Nylon ukulele

Default Played new Seagull steel & Nylon ukulele

To my surprise I ran into the new Seagull steel string ukulele yesterday at guitar store. First, they had both steel string and nylon strung version. Second, build as you expect was great. The sound was on the quiet side. These were both soprano size. That surprised me. The Guitar tech told me they were concert but I made him grab a tape and they were soprano. Fretboard was cantelevered. Looked to me like body was solid and perhaps carved out with spruce top. Sunburst was excellent. Can’t comment on how I liked playing it because it was soprano and I only play tenor. The Fretboard was cramped to me. I’d love to try a tenor size and of course try it plugged in. Very interesting.

Thanks for sharing this info. I am eager to see if they develop a full line of ukes or if this will be sort of a one-off like the Merlin or the (Godin) Multi-Uke.

Can you tell us if either of them was tuned re-entrant or linear? It's hard to tell from the photos.
    Just the FAQs __________less is more

The tuners were excellent. Two on a plate. Zero fret with tusk saddle that was compensated. The body and neck looked like one piece. That is what made me think body/neck were one piece with spruce top and body carved. Build looked great, the ukulele felt very solid in my hands I only had brief time to play but they were both cool. Steel was more in tune as nylon was still settling in. I’d probably put flurocarbon on immediately. I think it’s something you’d want to play plugged in. I’d like to play tenor if they build it. Not sure what Seagull plans are for this model as others have found out, very little info on line. Guitar store was had no info at all.

Both were tuned high g. This model looked a lot like their new man do line. I wonder if this is one of also. I was surprised it was soprano

Picture from bac which show the one piece body neck.F8A72F44-20A2-43F7-8D94-11ADA99BF055.jpg

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I found this short video tease from the company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k_cyDt-gRQ

I'd love to hear a demo showing both the steel and nylon versions playing the same song(s).
    Last edited by Ukulele Eddie; 12-04-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

This interests me, thanks for posting. I have been a long time fan of Seagull (and the entire Godin family) guitars.

Cantilevered fretboard?
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    My facebook- http://www.facebook.com/lozzie.green

Quote Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    Cantilevered fretboard?
    Radiused fretboard perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    Radiused fretboard perhaps?
    A cantilevered fretboard is when the fretboard sits above the soundboard, rather than on it. David Ingalls does this in his Ono builds, as does Compass Rose (Rick Turner). The theory being the top can move more freely.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thread Information