EBay

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
Does anyone use EBay much? I never have, and I’m a bit leary, but they got somethin’ I want.

Whadaya think? Go for it or be safe? :eek:ld:

Take a look at this thread http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?130443-ebay-seller-ID-and-feedback

for some thoughts on what to look out for.

I have bought and sold things there. I generally look for someone with a track record, who seems to know what they are selling rather than the "I don't really know anything about this" approach. That sometimes can mean that if there are issues they will claim ignorance. I look for 100% positive feedback or if it is just under I will look to see what the reason was for the negative. I think that if you are careful and the seller seems reputable you are generally ok.

Just do it... Paypal sides with the buyer in most every dispute Ive heard of so you are safe.

Ive bought ukuleles tattoo machines and other goodies with great results. Bought a rust free gas tank once came with rust mentioned this to the buyer and they refunded all but $20 to me, and I kept the tank.

Buying from the marketplace here Ive had mostly awesome results like eBay, with eBay you're protected by PayPal.

EDIT: From my experience a sellers track record means little, I have pulled the trigger on a sale with an old seller with a great reputation to only have eBay refund my money three days later as the sellers account was compromised. Ive also bought things from new sellers with only a few sales with zero issues. Hell Ive even bought a few things from those with many negative reviews no troubles.

But instead of rambling or pointing you to others opinions on the subject here is the proof in the pudding! https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

Is it a ukulele? Tell us after you buy it.

Last edited:
I've bought and sold on Ebay alot.
Selling is no fun.
As for buying, especially instruments, a knowledgeable seller is the only ones I buy from.
Communication is the key ask questions and if anything goes wrong you have a record.

I buy from eBay all the time, but do check their record. So far I've never had a problem if I had to return or get a refund.

I've used Ebay many times and often go there to try and find good deals. Look for the sellers with high ratings. I tend to only deal with sellers at 98% to 100% ratings but I've gone a bit lower if the deal is really good and I really want the item. I've been buying there for years and I've only encountered 2 or 3 bad eggs but I got my money back through Ebay purchase protection. Ironically, I have an outstanding purchase right now that I will have to file for a refund through Ebay when the (non)delivery window expires. I went against my own rules and rolled the dice but this time it went against me. I don't have any fear that I won't get my money back via Ebay.

My last purchase from eBay was an older ukulele - the pictures dod not show a repaired crack on one side. I negotiated a reduction in price and had it fixed and am content. Just be savvy, careful and be realistic. Another I bought was declared as coming apart - paid $15 - glued it back together and gave it to someone wanting to learn. We were all happy.
I have many years of working with Ebay and am content. These days there are more stores and professional sellers than in the old days. Some judicious correspondence can reveal a lot. There is an instrument that I really would like and the seller is clearly worth buying from, but in the end I have bought what I really wanted from a UU member.
Take your time - look on Reverb and the Flea Market Market site.

Does anyone use EBay much? I never have, and I’m a bit leary, but they got somethin’ I want.

Whadaya think? Go for it or be safe? :eek:ld:

I’ve been using (buying off of) eBay for years and overall I’m very pleased with the results. Very occasionally I’ll get a dud but taking a problem back to the supplier and dispute resolution with eBay has always been fine. I’d say that it compares very favourably with buying from a traditional store on line, in fact ebay’s probably better. As with all things it’s ‘let the buyer beware’ but really it’s no more so than anywhere else (well that’s been my experience).

On price do not assume that eBay is always cheapest, typically it is but definitely not always.

I suggest that you ‘go for it’ and believe that you will still ‘be safe’.

I've lots of eBay experience, with over 300 items sold, including a half dozen guitars - all good so far. As a seller, there are now a number of pitfalls in which the seller can get scammed, with PayPal always siding with the buyer. But as a buyer, as long as you use PayPal you should have few worries.

Well, Darn! I was ready to pull the trigger, but now it’s gone. I guess I was just too careful. It was a 2016 brand new banjo that I’ve been looking for, going for half price. I think I lead everyone into thinking it was used, but it’s builder’s warranty was still in force—sorry.

Ahhh, well—no guts, no glory. :eek:ld:

Talk to me about banjos as I put them together from good parts and seem to have a few - they multiply like ukuleles. Mine are usually older ones with some "history."

Well, Darn! I was ready to pull the trigger, but now it’s gone. I guess I was just too careful.

I wouldn’t worry about it, they’ll be something else along soon to tempt you. IMHO erring on the side of caution is wise for dearer purchases, but for stuff that you need and where the price isn’t much then do a few checks first and hit the button - works for me.

Last edited:
ahoy

have bought lots of stuff from eBay
including three ukes

my rules for buying on ebay

check feedback
not lower than 98.6

read feedback notes
sometimes a seller is dammed with faint praise

make sure you know/see shipping cost
sometimes deal is not such a deal
when seller has inflated the shipping cost

lots of clean clear well lit photos

there is no excuse for muddy poor photos
first thought is what are they hiding

yours truly
mac

Well, in case anyone is interested, I opted for a good, new A-scale banjo, though somewhat cheaper, from Elderly. I like doing business with Elderly.

Thanks for the good info, everyone; it mighta been helpful if I had been quicker. :eek:ld:

I posted this on another thread:
Buyer beware. I once drove an hour to follow up on a 1920s Martin listed on Craigslist only to find that the neck had been snapped off and terribly glued back on. The bridge was also clumsily glued on. The guy photographed the ukulele at certain angles and in low light so the photos were fuzzy and hid all this. A month later I saw the same Martin (same photos) listed on eBay for more than the Craigslist price. Ask for more photos and make sure they are clear. Ask for a sound sample too.

Well, in case anyone is interested, I opted for a good, new A-scale banjo, though somewhat cheaper, from Elderly. I like doing business with Elderly.

Thanks for the good info, everyone; it mighta been helpful if I had been quicker. :eek:ld:

Thanks for the feedback and for the recommendation; I’m glad that you ended up with something that you’re happy with from a trader you can trust and making saving on what eBay had to offer is a nice bonus too. eBay is usually good on price but, like I said in #8, it’s not always the cheapest.

I've had some good experiences with ebay seller, but you have to know how to recognize the deals and understand what you are buying. I got my Kamaka White Label in pristine condition for $199, buy it now with free shipping one night, some Pono's at great prices, 2 Mele's, Goldltone Irish Tenor banjo with full reso, hard case, and pickup for $375, and on and on. Have to be a smart shopper though.

Top Bottom