Thread: Koa top combos?

Default Koa top combos?

Aloha, so we know an all koa ukulele are the norms for pretty much all.k brands and customs. But...

Has Anyone built a ukulele with a koa top and different back and sides?

Example.... Koa top/mahogany back and sides,, koa top and ebony b&s. Koa top and brazillian rosewood b&s. Etc, etc.

Mele ukuleles sell some ukuleles with Koa tops and Mahogany back and sides.

What about walnut with a koa top. Same sound very beautiful combo. I'm pretty sure I have built a couple like that a long time ago.
    Michael Smith
    Goat Rock Ukulele
    www.goatrockukulele.com

A couple years back I built a koa and mahogany back and sides uke that the player loves. Turned out really sweet.

DSCN6687.jpg

DSCN6680.jpg

I didn't build this but I own it. Curly koa top and flamed maple back and sides. Sounds great, very even tone strummed or picked.

2016-12-08-001-1024x633.jpg2016-12-08-005-1024x577.jpg2016-12-08-003-1024x577.jpgAttachment 105089
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I'm sure it works great but to me, a ukulele with a hardwood top looks better with matching back and sides. If I ever mix the combo is always a softwood top on hardwood back and sides. Maybe I'm just limited by the weight of tradition in the guitar world. Or scratch that maybe, I am limited by the tradition.
    Building blog - http://www.argapa.blogspot.com
    Music and atrocities - http://www.goodcopbadcop.se

Quote Originally Posted by Sven View Post
    I'm sure it works great but to me, a ukulele with a hardwood top looks better with matching back and sides. If I ever mix the combo is always a softwood top on hardwood back and sides. Maybe I'm just limited by the weight of tradition in the guitar world. Or scratch that maybe, I am limited by the tradition.
    Tradition is hard to break away from. My other tenors are spruce-rosewood, spruce-cocobolo, spruce-myrtle, redwood-walnut. The above koa-maple holds its own in the sound department, this I did not expect. I also never liked the look of a dark top with a light back until this one. Old dogs new tricks, who knew.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Thread Information