Koa top combos?

tangimango

Reaction score
Aloha, so we know an all koa ukulele are the norms for pretty much all.k brands and customs. But...

Has Anyone built a ukulele with a koa top and different back and sides?

Example.... Koa top/mahogany back and sides,, koa top and ebony b&s. Koa top and brazillian rosewood b&s. Etc, etc.

What about walnut with a koa top. Same sound very beautiful combo. I'm pretty sure I have built a couple like that a long time ago.

I didn't build this but I own it. Curly koa top and flamed maple back and sides. Sounds great, very even tone strummed or picked.

2016-12-08-001-1024x633.jpg2016-12-08-005-1024x577.jpg2016-12-08-003-1024x577.jpgView attachment 105089

I'm sure it works great but to me, a ukulele with a hardwood top looks better with matching back and sides. If I ever mix the combo is always a softwood top on hardwood back and sides. Maybe I'm just limited by the weight of tradition in the guitar world. Or scratch that maybe, I am limited by the tradition.

I'm sure it works great but to me, a ukulele with a hardwood top looks better with matching back and sides. If I ever mix the combo is always a softwood top on hardwood back and sides. Maybe I'm just limited by the weight of tradition in the guitar world. Or scratch that maybe, I am limited by the tradition.

Tradition is hard to break away from. My other tenors are spruce-rosewood, spruce-cocobolo, spruce-myrtle, redwood-walnut. The above koa-maple holds its own in the sound department, this I did not expect. I also never liked the look of a dark top with a light back until this one. Old dogs new tricks, who knew.

Top Bottom