Thread: Advanced Hawaiian Methods

Default Advanced Hawaiian Methods

I have become an intermediate-advanced player through Greg Horneís Complete Ukulele Method. I really want to learn some Hawaiian songs and techniques that build off all that Iíve learned. What are the best sources/books for this? Iíve purchased so far Bruddah Is and Jake songbooks but Iím hoping thereís more!

Quote Originally Posted by jarednye View Post
    I have become an intermediate-advanced player through Greg Horne’s Complete Ukulele Method. I really want to learn some Hawaiian songs and techniques that build off all that I’ve learned. What are the best sources/books for this? I’ve purchased so far Bruddah Is and Jake songbooks but I’m hoping there’s more!
    Take Skype lessons from Bryan Tolentino. He's THE Hawaiian-style 'ukulele player these days and is kind enough to do lessons when he has a chance.

Pekelo's books come to mind, but I don't know a whole lot about them.

At the risk of ruffling some feathers, I'll go out on a limb and say that you can't just jump in and "play" Hawaiian music and expect it to sound right. It is so much more about the feel than the notes and techniques. You have to hear it and play it for a while before it's "right."

Funny story: my friend and fabulous bassist/guitar player backed me up at a recent gig. He's part Hawaiian, his uncle is a local performer. But he listens and plays primarily shredder math rock. We practiced beforehand and he could barely figure out the "easy" Hawaiian songs! I figured it would be a no-brainer, but I was wrong! It was so cute that he's such a great player, but his precise technical playing didn't help very much at all when trying to capture the nahenahe sound.

I'd save the money you might spend on books and buy albums. Namely these to get started: Paradise by Hui 'Ohana, Tropical Storm and Cane Fire by Peter Moon Band, Best of Ka'au Crater Boys, Jus Press Vo. 2 by Led Kaapana. And listen, listen, listen.

YMMV, of course.
    Peace,

Brad Bordessa
    Webmaster of Live 'Ukulele.com
    Admin for The Ukulele Way

My new album, If Only, is available now!

'Ukulele Chord Shapes - 55 pages of all the chords and know-how you'll ever need to stay found on the fretboard.

Unfortunately, there is only a single volume of the Pekelo books available, he came up with a 2nd volume but has none left. The first is excellent beginner fingerpicking book, at least in my very limited opinion. You can drop him a note @ pekelosbooks@gmail. When I turned up empty on that I picked up Hawaiian Uke Songbook. It's has chords and melody, unfortunately there is no recording to hear how the songs should sound so you need to pay attention to the timing. It may be fairly basic if you've been at this for a while, much of it is pretty challenging to me. You can see on eof the songs here https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...-music/1731567 There are some easier and some harder then the single example.

Thread Information