Martin C1K Uke Koa Top Question

Victoriuke

Reaction score
I have owned my Martin C1K uke for about 3 years now and noticed that the grain on top of the body has some deep lines. I may just be imagining a problem that isn't, but need expert advice.

Attached is a photo that hopefully shows the area I'm concerned with. I don't know if I need to "wax" the top or do something else to it, to prevent the grain from separating and damaging my uke.

I have to admit that I do not use a humidifier, and I keep it on my uke wall hanger when not playing it.

Please let me know of any suggestions or advice concerning this, or if I am just being paranoid over something that is normal.

Thanks,
Victoria

Attachments

• Martin Uke top.jpg
    Martin Uke top.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 47
Can you feel them easily with your fingernail? If so, I'd get that puppy off the wall, and into a hard case with a humidifier ASAP, before they do turn into cracks, if they aren't already. If they are the beginnings of cracks, and you humidify well, they should close up nicely. Just something you need to do with solid ukes, but well worth it. Also, are your fret ends getting sharp on the edge of the fretboard? If so, that's another sign that your uke needs a drink. I leave mine out in the summer, but always in the case, once my furnace gets turned on for winter.

I can feel at least one or two of the woodgrains with my fingernail. The fret ends though feel smooth. I am getting a humidifier and taking my uke off the wall and into a hard case ASAP. Thank you so much for the great advice. Never again will I leave it out in the winter, with the furnace on.

Top Bottom