Thread: Wide Nut slot

Default Wide Nut slot

Picked up an older Flea #8453 in the Poi-ple color (dark purple top). Sounds great, much different than my concert Fluke, and seems like it will be a fun uke. Almost mint, however the E string nut slot seems too wide, as I noticed some plinky tone when changing chords.
    I can finger that string at the 2nd fret, wiggle back and forth, and get that plinky overtone, as I see the string wiggling side to side in the nut slot. It came to me with the original black Hilo strings, and I just changed them to Martin M600, which may be thinner. I suppose I can jam a black piece of paper in the slot to firm things up a bit, and stop the wiggle. Any other better, quick fixes for that?
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 12-05-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

When I had a too-wide (or too-deep? not sure) nut slot that was causing a buzz, my local luthier filled it in with super glue and some sort of powder and then re-filed it. I'm not sure I'd try this myself, but if you're brave enough to give it a go - there's a ton of how-to advice out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbzS42DCbI

Yep, super glue and baking soda.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Picked up an older Flea #8453 in the Poi-ple color (dark purple top). Sounds great, much different than my concert Fluke, and seems like it will be a fun uke. Almost mint, however the E string nut slot seems too wide, as I noticed some plinky tone when changing chords.
    I can finger that string at the 2nd fret, wiggle back and forth, and get that plinky overtone, as I see the string wiggling side to side in the nut slot. It came to me with the original black Hilo strings, and I just changed them to Martin M600, which may be thinner. I suppose I can jam a black piece of paper in the slot to firm things up a bit, and stop the wiggle. Any other better, quick fixes for that?
    The MFC instruments are NOT made just like other ukes, i.e. the plastic fretboard has a zero-fret and the nut slots are merely string-spacers, all molded into the fretboard. The wooden fretboard has a metal zero-fret and some other material that is more like a black micarta that acts also as string-spacers.

The best advice you are going to get is from contacting MFC (Magic Fluke Company) directly via:

The Magic Fluke Company
    292 South Main Street
    Sheffield, MA 01257
    (413) 229-8536
    sales@magicfluke.com

http://www.magicfluke.com/Contact-s/1844.htm

They are always VERY helpful and have been solving these problems themselves with better results than messing with CA glue and baking soda, which while it might work for an instrument with a bone or cheap plastic nut, I would NOT advise this on a Fluke or Flea.

CALL THEM, they will help/advise you.
    Just the FAQs __________less is more

Will do, thanks
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I've had this same plinky thing happen before, but only on their plastic fretboards. I"m a big fan of Flea's and Flukes, but I now only buy them with the upgraded hardwood fretboard for this reason.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Thread Information