Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uke amplifier

Default Uke amplifier

Just got a Duke 10 which came with a Schatten LP-15 pickup. Thought it might be fun to get a small, inexpensive amp (no bells and whistles) for use at home. Any suggestions?

You sure you need one with a Duke!

Those things are loud out of the box, from what I've heard.

However, I use a Micro Cube with my ukes, it's pretty inexpensive, but it does have a nice range of effects built in, might be worth your while taking a look.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Quote Originally Posted by noukeyet View Post
    Just got a Duke 10 which came with a Schatten LP-15 pickup. Thought it might be fun to get a small, inexpensive amp (no bells and whistles) for use at home. Any suggestions?
    What's your idea of a small and inexpensive amp? Now that I have an awesome Blackstar amp, my little Fender 10 watt amp and Boss distortion/overdrive pedal are sitting around collecting dust. Send me a message if you'd want them for $50

No specific suggestion, but make sure you get an amp designed for acoustic instruments if you want the best acoustic-like sound. Electric guitar amps have their own kind of sound, which you may or may not like. They are not ideal for trying to get a more realistic amplified acoustic sound though.

You must want to play REALLY loud to amp up a banjo uke.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    You sure you need one with a Duke!

Those things are loud out of the box, from what I've heard.

However, I use a Micro Cube with my ukes, it's pretty inexpensive, but it does have a nice range of effects built in, might be worth your while taking a look.
    Yes, the Micro Cubes are great little amps, with lots of sounds, although a good clean tone with some reverb or delay is all I've needed for ukes on it. Great thing is, you can line out the back to a PA for bigger venues.

In fact, I played electric guitar at an outdoor event through it one time, connecting thru the PA, and got a few comments on my great tone, with a couple of guys looking to see where my amp was, and couldn't believe it was the itty bitty Cube.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

The only justification I have for a banjo ukulele is that its SO loud that I don't NEED to amplify it. Its already too loud to practice with at home. A banjo uke with a pickup is really just for stage use and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    The only justification I have for a banjo ukulele is that its SO loud that I don't NEED to amplify it. Its already too loud to practice with at home. A banjo uke with a pickup is really just for stage use and performance.
    But it "has" a pick up........like most of us that is reason enough to buy an amp and plug it in. BECAUSE YOU CAN
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Hate to admit it, but that was my thought process!

I would go to a music store and play it through a few inexpensive amps and pick the one that sounds the best. some instruments sound better through some amps than others. you might also go to a few pawn shops, they usually have lots of cheap amps, just make sure you test them first. bring a cable and your banjo. I recently got a microcube for $20 at one.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Honey Tone has good review
    $45 Or less in US
    Brenda

Thread Information