Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pegheads, advice wanted for old uke

Default Pegheads, advice wanted for old uke

Despite the purist advice of my luthier, I just decided the other day that I want a set of Pegheads for my 20's Weymann sop. This light as a feather old uke has a wonderful loud and warbley vintage sound, but she sits unplayed because of those wooden pegs from hell.

I missed those Pegheads Teri sold... thought I'd better just ask if anyone else has a set?

If not, where should I buy them, or does anyone else have a recommendation for replacement tuners?

I'm assuming that the wood pegs have a wider hole than other good quality friction pegs - is that the case?
    (I can't drop in Gotoh planetary tuners or even other friction tuners without filling the hole first and re-drilling, right?
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype GBP soprano, Peter Howlett #153
    Weymann soprano, 20's or 30's?
    Martin O, 1961
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Kala KA-ASOV-S
    Koaloha KCM-00
    Kanile'a K1 Concert
    Kamaka 1969 Tiki Concert
    Larrivee UT40MHO spruce/hog Tenor
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor

I'd look at a set of Gotoh UPTs, seemed smoother than Pegheads, at least to me. Plus, easier to install, with a straight hole, instead of tapered for the Pegheads. Plus the UPTs cover old washer marks under their housing. On the Pegheads I had, the old tuner marks could be seen on the back. But, if you gotta have the violin peg look, Pegheads are it.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Kiwaya KTS-6
    Enya X1 soprano
    Kiwaya KTC-2
    Ohana BK20

Also, Bill (TheCraftedCow) UU member sells them. He has both the short and long versions. UPT are a good option, but a bit heavier compared to the Pegheads. Pegheads will have more of a 20's look about them if you want them to look like the wooden ones.
    Currently playing:
    Pohaku cedar soprano

Previous played:
    Collings UC1
    Martin Style 0 1920s
    Brüko long neck soprano
    Martin 1-T 1940s
    Pohaku cedar concert

Yeah, I would check with Pohaku. If you don't want to fuss, have a good luthier do it.

I used to have pegheds and loved them.

I love the look of pegheds. I have wavered on this for a couple of older instruments and decided that these are "player" instruments rather than collector's pieces. I do have the luthier's reamer that is needed - bought on Amazon and made in China - and it is ideal for a lot of other things too. I have used the GOtoh upt tuners as this look similar to the planetaries that I am used to on old banjos. In my opinion the Pegheds are the best looking upgrade you can make.
    Martin c. 1934
    Martin OXK
    Kamaka pineapple gold label - 1950s
    Mele pineapple - koa and mahogany - modern
    Kamaka tenor - 2002
    Mele, Braddah tenor 1990s
    Slingerland banjolele Maybell - 1920s

I have PegHeds on my new Firefly Tenor banjo uke, and am not impressed. If I had it to do over again I would save the $70 upgrade fee and get Gotohs instead.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    I have PegHeds on my new Firefly Tenor banjo uke, and am not impressed. If I had it to do over again I would save the $70 upgrade fee and get Gotohs instead.
    Specifically what is it about the PegHeds that you don't like? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would appreciate a firsthand account of their potential drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post
    Despite the purist advice of my luthier, unplayed because of those wooden pegs from hell.
    Your Luthier must not be capable of setting a wooden peg. I've found that one set well and doped tune as smoothly as any metal friction tuner. Talk to a violin repairman.
    Last edited by spongeuke; 12-07-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    I ended up buying three sets of Gotoh upts and have not been disappointed. For me the factors were familiarity and price. I love and trust Gotoh tuners as I have played banjo and refitted many. Their cost from Hawaii was $59 per set plus postage. The Pegheds looked tricky to fit, though I now own the correct reamer. I have never handled an instrument set up with Pegheds, though I have a fifth string one hanging around and love the engineering. I am particularly enamored of the nickel Pegheds - they fit a thicker headstock than is normal on most ukuleles and they are yet more expensive. The Gotoh upts are now standard on many Kamakas. I fitted a set on my gold label Kamaka pineapple and love them.

The Weymann banjos are a delight and the Gotoh make a great upgrade and look "right." On a soprano uke, I am not so sure - that has to be your choice.
    Martin c. 1934
    Martin OXK
    Kamaka pineapple gold label - 1950s
    Mele pineapple - koa and mahogany - modern
    Kamaka tenor - 2002
    Mele, Braddah tenor 1990s
    Slingerland banjolele Maybell - 1920s

Thread Information