Pegheads, advice wanted for old uke

I continue to be puzzled that there doesn't seem to be a website that shows all the Peghed sizes for sale (seems like there should be four sizes: longer and shorter x 7.5 and 8.5 widths) specifically for ukes...
Does Pokahu offer that short version of the 8.5 width shown in the Martin above?

They look fantastic!
Here are a couple photos of the installation of the "short" version Pegheds into my 1960 Martin Style 1. Again, I love them and have had no issues with smoothness. In fact, I've had many of them on various Collings ukes and never had a complaint there either. As far as concerns over cost, I have seen them priced pretty high on retailers' sites, but I definitely never paid more than $55 - $60 a set through Crafted Cow, which is well in line with UPT's.

-Steve

View attachment 105187View attachment 105186

I continue to be puzzled that there doesn't seem to be a website that shows all the Peghed sizes for sale (seems like there should be four sizes: longer and shorter x 7.5 and 8.5 widths) specifically for ukes...
Does Pokahu offer that short version of the 8.5 width shown in the Martin above?

That has puzzled me too - their site only shows violin pegs. Finding a dealer for ukuleles and banjos has been difficult, but not impossible. In this case I suggest contacting Pohaku. They are only in California.

Dear Ones,
I went to the source and have several emails from Chuck Herin at Pegheds. He has a variety of Pegheds available. The standard ones are 7543U - these cost $12 each with plastic buttons 7.5mm shaft. There is an 8.5mm shaft model 8543U and these make food replacements where the hole in the headstock is larger. There may be some old Fluke models which are shorter. Anyway - Chuck is great to talk with and I suggest a call, 866 PEGHEDS. As to fitting these - I suggest the Pohaku video http://www.pohakuukulele.com/how-to-install-peghead-tuners

Best wishes to all - Ian

PS - I purchased the last two Fluke sets. Chuck said this about the newer Fluke pegs "Fluke Ukuleles has exclusivity on the newest version of the peg."

He also says that "Bill Thompson thecraftedcow@comcast.net has a very similar peg. He is a ukulele builder and player."

The 7.5mm Pegheds (assembled in Mexico w/US parts) with plastic button is $12 . The USA made 7.5 and 8.5 are $16 each and up depending on the button material. These prices can change in a heartbeat - but these were the today prices.

I am going to be happy with my older Fluke pegs!

Here are a couple photos of the installation of the "short" version Pegheds into my 1960 Martin Style 1. Again, I love them and have had no issues with smoothness. In fact, I've had many of them on various Collings ukes and never had a complaint there either. As far as concerns over cost, I have seen them priced pretty high on retailers' sites, but I definitely never paid more than $55 - $60 a set through Crafted Cow, which is well in line with UPT's.

-Steve

View attachment 105187View attachment 105186

Sorry for resurrecting such a old thread, but these look great!
I've never seen pegheads on a uke this short before.
Never really cared for the look of them because of how long they usually are, but if I could find some this size.
After reading this I tried to find a place selling these exact ones, but not too easy.

If anyone knows where to buy this size please post a link.

Last edited:
I would just learn to work with the wooden tuners. I thought I'd have to replace the wooden tuners on a wartime Martin that I purchased, but after using them a few times, I have become good at working them and they hold tune great. If you are having any issues, you should bring your uke to a violin builder and they'll be able to work the pegs (if need be), or add some peg dope.

I would just learn to work with the wooden tuners. I thought I'd have to replace the wooden tuners on a wartime Martin that I purchased, but after using them a few times, I have become good at working them and they hold tune great. If you are having any issues, you should bring your uke to a violin builder and they'll be able to work the pegs (if need be), or add some peg dope.

Like the person I quoted I have a 1960's Martin that didn't originally come with wooden pegs.
I just think the short pegheads in the picture look really good .

I can't believe you don't see these short pegs being used more often.

Top Bottom