Beginner advice for a new uke issue

Brendan688

Reaction score
Thanks for looking, quick background, I’m new to Ukes, but play guitar so some things translate. I’ve been looking to get a uke to replace my kids toy I’ve been using (it’s not that bad for plastic!).
Should have listened to all of you and went with one of the recommended places, but I saw a great deal...
Saw an ad for a uke closeout. Company was done making ukes and selling off the rest of their inventory. Couldn’t find a single thing online about them and ukes (they make other instruments), nothing on this forum, bit of a gamble. Ukes look great, asked for a sound clip, sounded great. New was 250, closeout 100. Includes a gig bag.
Arrived yesterday, gig bag was very nice, high quality, uke looks beautiful, feels nice. Solid spruce top, bocote lamanite back/sides. Nut/saddle bone, Aquila strings. So far I’m really happy. Couple notes, sounds really nice, chords, it’s sings pretty good, really happy for 100. Until I play E7...what’s that buzz? Second fret on the G is lifted a bit. Open it’s fine, playing anywhere else it’s fine, but fretting at first makes the G hit the second fret causing the buzz.
If it wasn’t for that, I’d be really happy. There is one music shop near me, I like the store but their repair/tech staff are terrible. The next closest place is about an hour away. They do nice work. I can do basic set ups on my guitars, but have never done fret work. I’m guessing a shop would charge 30-50 for that? From what I can tell, it doesn’t need to be set up, the action is nice, intonation is great, just that one fret and only on the one side.
I emailed the seller/company last night and didn’t get a response yet. I’m not sure since it was a close out if they would take a return...but I’m guessing I’d have to cover the shipping, which would probably be as much as the repair. If the store close to me was decent, I’d pay the 50 to get it fixed and be happy with it. But they would probably make it worse.
Overall, if it wasn’t for the fret issue, I’d be very happy with the deal. Do you think I should press for a return, try to fix it in myself, or go for the long drive to get it fixed?

Take the one hour drive to the good shop. That really isn't that far. Sounds as if you like most everything about the uke so one small fix and you are a happy camper.

There are quite a few threads on buzzing and it can come from many different sources. As you are a guitarist, maybe you have checked the basic things, such as making sure the tuners have been tightened down. There could be a high fret wire that isn’t fully pressed in, or just a tall fret that needs dressing and crowning (these are not something I would try to do). If the action isn’t already too high, you can put a shim under the saddle and see what happens.

I have a $40 Lanikai Baritone that has a buzz that sounds every time I play hard—so I just play more softly. I also don’t play baritone a lot—tried shims, sanding frets, and so on to no avail. But, for a $40 Ukulele, I just shrug and play it.

Also—you didn’t mention the source of the closeout. Others might be interested if ukuleles are still available.

Sounds like maybe that fret isn't seated quite right, I'd try giving it a tap with something heavy, (protect the neck & the fret surface with something), to see if it will seat properly, else, I'd run a file over it, but then I'm that sort of a guy, who'll do it myself rather than spend more money & negate the saving. ;)

I didn’t mention the company because I didn’t know if it was ok, since a-they aren’t a sponser and b-I’m somewhat bad mouthing them. I’m new here and didn’t want to break the rules! If you want the company, send me a pm and I’ll give you the link.
It’s definitely the second fret. You can see it popped up a little bit. I’m hoping if I bring it to the good place, the guy will take care of it right there, so I don’t have to go back and forth twice.
I do like it, I think that I’ll call the shop and see when they have some time to do it while I wait. I’m just worried that I’ll buy something else while I’m waiting in the shop!

Sounds like maybe that fret isn't seated quite right, I'd try giving it a tap with something heavy, (protect the neck & the fret surface with something), to see if it will seat properly, else, I'd run a file over it, but then I'm that sort of a guy, who'll do it myself rather than spend more money & negate the saving. ;)

It’s that for sure, it’s visable. And you’re a braver man than me! I know I’d end up snapping the neck!

I think I'd try the "light tap with small hammer" technique before the 3hr+ repair trip.

Sounds like you already know that the second fret is a bit high. The suggestion for tapping it into place is worth a try. But don't hit it directly with a hammer, unless you have one that has a hard rubber or plastic face. Support the neck well and put a bit of wood on top of the fret. Then tap it with the hammer. You don't want to flatten the top of the fret. Fretwire is pretty hard, but can be damaged. You say you can do basic set-up on your guitars -- if the tapping in place doesn't do the job then a little file work and recrowning is in order. If you are comfortable with that type of work it will save you $50 and a long drive. You can probably find a dozen YouTube videos on how to do it.

An update, the seller/company emailed me back early yesterday and was really great. Offered to pay for repair at the place of my choosing. I dropped it off yesterday. Hoping they tap it back in and it’s a quick cheap fix.

Thanks for the update. If it comes back as nice as you hope, you might share the seller/company info to let people know they stand behind their product. Problems sometimes slip through and it's nice to know when people give good support.

And if it doesn't come back as nice as you hope, you might share for the opposite reason ;)

I suspect you'll be happy, though.

Top Bottom