Low tension strings?

sea monkey

Reaction score
Hi-
Please don't kill me, but I looked all over the forum and I could not find an answer to this question:
I'm looking for a set of low tension strings for my Gretsch resonator concert uke- I started playing on an Oscar Schmidt OU-2 concert uke (best 60 bucks I ever spent), it came with pretty low tension strings and I def like them that way. The strings that came on the Gretsch are way too tight for my liking.
Can anyone recommend a decent set of low-tension (re-entrant) strings for my new uke?

New to the forum- lotta great info/resources here, glad to be a new member!

Last edited:
I've observed the following after testing over 100 discrete sets of strings:

• Thinner strings = more sustain = less tension = less volume = brighter tone
  • Thicker strings = less sustain = more tension = more volume = warmer tone

i.e. you want thinner strings...depending upon scale length...the easy way goes like this:

concert strings on tenor
soprano strings on concert

but for soprano you'd have to tuned DOWN to a lower pitch from GCEA, like F-Bb-D-G which will reduce tension

ALSO you can tune DOWN to F-Bb-D-G (on concert and tenor as well) which will reduce tension with your EXISTING strings, and then put a capo on the second fret

ANY brand of strings will work for the above

I've done all of the above tons of times, and it ALL 'works', despite causing the purists to get their hackles up and say otherwise.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks! Just ordered a set of soprano strings. Excited to see if it does the trick!

I put Aquila Lava soprano strings on the soprano resonator I built, and they feel pretty low tension to me. I'd guess the concert strings on a concert would too. Definitely lower tension* than fluorocarbons.

*OK, who knows what their actual tension is, because what we feel when playing is the stiffness of the string, not necessarily its tension. A dense material at lower tension might feel stiffer than a less dense material at higher tension. These Lava strings feel less stiff to my finger than many other types of string.

If you want a more "scientific" approach, look at the charts at Southcoast:
http://southcoastukes.com/uku-nw.htm

I'd recommend the LMU set but if you want lower, then try the LU, or if you find you want higher tension, go to the MU.

Hi-
Please don't kill me, but I looked all over the forum and I could not find an answer to this question:
I'm looking for a set of low tension strings for my Gretsch resonator concert uke- I started playing on an Oscar Schmidt OU-2 concert uke (best 60 bucks I ever spent), it came with pretty low tension strings and I def like them that way. The strings that came on the Gretsch are way too tight for my liking.
Can anyone recommend a decent set of low-tension (re-entrant) strings for my new uke?

New to the forum- lotta great info/resources here, glad to be a new member!

Brighter - https://www.stringsbymail.com/worth...ro-carbon-light-cl-46-inch-full-set-7685.html

Warmer - https://www.stringsbymail.com/worth...ro-carbon-light-bl-46-inch-full-set-7674.html

Cool- I'ma buy a few sets and see what feels the best. Thanks again!!

To add a fly to the ointment it could be the instrument. Two things can contribute to this a high action, string height above the frets and the fact it is a resonator. The strings are attached directly to the metal plate so there is no give or flex like a normal tie bridge.

But soprano strings on a concert scale uke should feel less tight then the concert strings in a concert. It might have less volume though.

Last edited:
Worth makes low tension strings. I used them on my soprano and it feels great. Gives you that easy, lazy feeling.
They are specifically marked that way so it is easy to find.

Sorry, I know this is a old thread. But when you say Worth Low Tension strings.
Are you talking about the Worth "Light" & "Medium" strings, or is there some actually labeled "Low Tension"?

Top Bottom