does neck length on banjo uke affect sound?

captain-janeway

Reaction score
I'm asking because I see that the bodies are the same size on soprano, concert and tenor. I know they will have different number of frets, but how does the neck length affect sound on these?

Don't have any in the area to try out and see for myself. Thanks.

(All I can say is that it does effect the sustain on a normal uke.)

Still a fairly new player so not entirely sure how sustain affects sound. Trying to figure out if soprano neck banjo uke sounds same as concert neck uke. Drums same size unlike other ukes.

scale length and string tension always affect sound

I was thinking about this the other day when I happened to notice how different banjo ukes of the same scale length can have the bridge positioned in different places. Check out these two concerts. I would think having the bridge near the center of the head might provide more volume? At any rate, if you want a shorter neck length, to keep the overall length down, you have to push the bridge towards the tailpiece.

attachment.php

dscf9888_1_1.jpg

scale length and string tension always affect sound

I'll risk sounding like a dummy here, but doesn't the size of the body affect the sound more? The body's more like an echo chamber? I thought the neck length more affected the octave you can play rather than if the sound of the uke is more high pitched like the soprano or low like the tenor. Thanks

From what I have read, & heard played, the larger the drum the louder the banjo - but I don't know if the scale length has as much of an effect on a banjo as it does on a uke.

(A normal uke body size will dictate to a degree how full the sound is, & the scale length will give more sustain of the notes as it gets longer.)

You may be right about the banjo being higher pitched with a shorter scale, (I don't know, never having been interested enough to investigate banjos).

Different strings on a uke can give you a different pitch, that is, I can have gCEA, GCEA, dGBE, or DGBE on a tenor uke with out much difficulty, just by using different strings.

EDIT: This forum often gets a mention when banjos are being discussed, maybe you can find what you want to know by taking a look there. :)
https://www.banjohangout.org/forum/

Last edited:
Thanks Croaky. That's closer to the answer I'm looking for. I'll look at the banjo forum as well, but I'm not sure banjos have necks of different lengths. research, research...

Top Bottom