Vintage Uke identification?

D28

Reaction score
There seems to be no shortage of knowledge around here on Ukes, so maybe someone could recognize this one.
I picked this up some years ago, had it on display forever until recently I played it and was amazed.
I don't see any marks, but I don't have a mirror small enough to fit through the sound hole. Obviously pre 30s with bar frets, celluloid friction tuners (3). Rope bound top. I can't tell for sure but it looks like stained Koa to me, but maybe flamed mahogany. It sounds surprisingly good and just like my 1K.

Photos

svrouc.jpg

33cug5u.jpg

23k54bb.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Which tuners are original, the cream ones or the dark wood-looking one? The cream ones have a join mark and are therefore moulded plastic, so looking more modern to me.

You've got an interesting little instrument there. Small body with a narrow waste, wide fret board (for its size) that is flush to the body. It almost looks like a different instrument (machete?). It's mahogany and the plastic tuners look original, but it doesn't look like a Regal to me. It's easy to find photos of Regals with headstocks about as long as that, but they don't have that shape. This particular instrument is really fancy, too. The wood is lovely, the marquetry is tasteful but beautiful. Regals and Harmonys were generally built for sales, not so much for high class.

I'll be interested to see what you learn about this one.

You've got an interesting little instrument there. Small body with a narrow waste, wide fret board (for its size) that is flush to the body. It almost looks like a different instrument (machete?). It's mahogany and the plastic tuners look original, but it doesn't look like a Regal to me. It's easy to find photos of Regals with headstocks about as long as that, but they don't have that shape. This particular instrument is really fancy, too. The wood is lovely, the marquetry is tasteful but beautiful. Regals and Harmonys were generally built for sales, not so much for high class.

These were my thoughts as well, the binding and rosette seem way above average, and the observations on the shape are interesting. I'm not sure what a machete is but this is all Uke imo.
The white friction pegs do look original, the wood one looks like a substitute. I didn't know hog could have that much Koa look to it ;)
I wonder if the label is stuck to the bottom inside:/
Here it is next to my 1K
2ms2d7a.jpg

Last edited:
Although I didn't find any exact matches on the Ukulele Hall of Fame Museum's website, one thing that struck me about the ukulele in question is the position of the sound hole: it is nearly centered on the waist, whereas far more ukuleles seem to have the sound hole positioned more towards (or in) the upper bout. One example on the Hall of Fame site is similar. It's listed as an unidentified mainland Hawaiian-style ukulele. Best of luck in researching your ukulele. It's a beauty.
Mike

I think it's an unknown builder, it has elements of several different decades apart. I would say very early 60s made copy of many ukes as to the latest feature. Do you have pictures of the bracing, kerfing and in the soundhole

Didnt machetes have steel strings though?

More than likely a Mele Ukulele, made by Harmony in Chicago. It's made to look like a genuine hawaiian instrument (hence the narrow waist, low soundhole, binding, headstock crown, flush fretboard), but it's actually mainland built, in the late 1910s or even 1920s. The bridge, heel and bottom shape are identifying markers. It's a pity that part of the herringbone binding is missing!

Stan is surely right. (He knows his stuff) It's a no-name with elements of very old style ukuleles. It really is quite lovely. Wouldn't it be nice if you could find the missing tuner?
In my previous post, where I said it looks almost like a fore-runner to the ukulele, that's just what I meant. It almost looks like it. Certainly an ukulele. (I'm convinced it's not a Harmony)

Top Bottom