Season 304 Happy Birthday...

Another one by A.P. Carter. He wrote this one. Oh, I forgot to put it in the video, but the little lead lines were played on a Seagull Merlin (stick dulcimer).

I noticed that December the 17th is the birthday of the singer songwriter Paul Rodgers, who did a song I absolutely love so had to have a stab at it even though I found it a bit hard to play.

Seagull - Bad Company

Sparky

Hi Geoff! Are you going to have time to put a Playlist (or is there one that I've missed)? I know you said you were a busy man this week, though!

Oops! I set up the playlist on Monday but forgot to add a link. Done now. You should all be on it. PM me if I've missed any of your entries off

An original song about a musician whose birthday is this week.

They came from all over for the open mic
Some came in cars, some rode on bikes
With guitar, drum and ukulele
They came to play and sing so gaily
They came to do it for all they were worth
And one man came down from way oop in the north
mmmm, hmmm...Tootlin' Geoff

One after one they took the stage
'Cause the open mic was all the rage
With guitar, uke, and maybe a drum
They sang their songs and they merrily strummed
They all took their turns and when no one was left
On came the man they call Tootlin' Geoff
The Tootler...Tootlin' Geoff

He set up his gear, everything in good order
And played an old folk song on an alto recorder
Then with uke in hand, his performance a winner
He sang them a song in a bold, reedy tenor
An ancient song, seldom heard in the nation
An old Childe ballad in a rare variation
mmmm, hmmm...Tootlin' Geoff

And just when they thought it couldn't get any sweeter
He sat himself down, couldn't look any neater
With a big harmonica, a button on the side
The crowd knew they were in for a ride
They all fell silent and they caught their breath sharp
As he laid down some blues on a chromatic harp
He's the Tootler...Tootlin' Geoff

Well the show was over but they wouldn't leave
And Geoff still had one trick up his sleeve
After all the folk songs and the ballads Childe
And recorder tunes had them going wild
They jumped to their feet and they shouted for more
So he gave 'em a little Pet Shop Boys encore
'Cause that's how Tootlin' Geoff rolls
He's the Tootler...Tootlin' Geoff

Last edited:
This song has been covered by so many greats. Big Mama Thornton is on the list, Dec. 11.
I've been away from the seasons this week. My mother in law is losing her battle with cancer and is now in congestive heart failure so I have been away helping with her. It won't be too long now I don't think but you can never guess with this kind of thing.
This song resonated with me this week so here is Lucky Old Sun.

Happy Birthday, Geoff!

A short blast of Mr. Beethoven (Birthday 16th Dec) courtesy of Ukehunt before I scarper to London for my annual festive prezzie dropping to family.
Have a great birthday Geoff, toodle pip for now.

Last edited:
happy birthday Geoff and thank you for hosting the week mate.
here's some more AP Carter for you, this song from
their recording sessions in May 1928.

The 14th December is Mike Scott's birthday. So, I was going to do a Waterboys cover, but then my mind cast itself back to an old forum I used to be on. On that forum was a woman who was obsessed with Mike Scott. She claimed she had been his lover and that he had eventually had to issue her with a restraining order to get rid of her. On the forum we were never sure if she was the genuine article, or just a troll playing us. A common problem on internet forums.

Suddenly, it struck me that it was a great theme for a song... so I wrote it. I think it fits the category of an original song about a musician whose birthday is this week, don't you?

Oh and "Per Molts Anys" to you too Geoff.

This song was a fan favorite at Frank Sinatra's performances.

Apologies about the playlist problems. When I saw Val's query about a lack of one, I did a "quickie" job from my iPad and had some problems getting a link from the YT Apps. I did eventually get one but the process was not exactly straightforward and it seems that it didn't even give me a correct one - or, it got corrupted somehow.

Anyway, I have edited the OP with an updated link and checked it and it worked OK for me. If you still have problems, please PM me.

I had a busy day yesterday - family needs got in the way and have another busy one today. The choir and band I belong to have a concert tonight and I'm doing a solo spot (with ukulele!) so practice is needed. I tried the song out last night at a folk club and it sort of went OK but I need another run through. It's a Christmasy one so I'll try and get time to record it.

It will likely be tomorrow before I can catch up with recent entries.

Guns Of Brixton

Paul Simonon (b 15 Dec 1955) is exactly 7.5 months younger than me.

Spider Stacy had his birthday on December 14th and played tin whistle for the Pogues.

That was a good enough excuse for me to rope Lynda in as my Kirsty and she was very patient while i went on in search of a good take. She then also stitched the audio together perfectly, even if she didn't want to be in the video herself.

Fun yet tricky song to play, and one I've wanted to do for a while.

:rock:

Top Bottom