Season 304 Happy Birthday...

Here's one by Ernie Ashworth, who was best known for his big hit song "Talk back trembling lips" in 1963. I always got a kick out of the rhinestone suit he that had lips on it. lol Ernie Ashworth was a guy who was always kinda around, he also owned radio stations. This is a song he did in later years that I liked, that i'm extremely sure nobody else was gonna do this week! lol

Ace Kefford is 71 today. He was a founder member of The Move, although a purist might point out that he had left by the time they recorded this, their only UK number one. But as it was on my list of 365 songs for next year, I thought I ought to see if I could actually play it.
And another reason for doing it - about 44 years ago, my first 45rpm purchase was by the man who wrote this, Roy Wood. Tomorrow night, I get to see him live for the first time. :music:

Last edited:
Roy Wood, live? Whoa. Excellent.

Ace Kefford is 71 today. He was a founder member of The Move, although a purist might point out that he had left by the time they recorded this, their only UK number one. But as it was on my list of 365 songs for next year, I thought I ought to see if I could actually play it.
And another reason for doing it - about 44 years ago, my first 45rpm purchase was by the man who wrote this, Roy Wood. Tomorrow night, I get to see him live for the first time. :music:

Roy Wood, live? Whoa. Excellent.
I hope so. Apparently he has done exactly the same setlist every gig for the last five years. But most of them were hits, so I think it should be fun.

The list in the opening post had Mike Heron down for Dec 12th and I thought I know what I could do.... Bet it crossed Rob's mind too.
However, the Wiki Entry fro MH affirms that he was born on the 27th December (1942) and not on the 12th. So thinking cap back on.....

Inspired by Pa's earlier version of the second half of this song ("Jesus Just Left Chicago"), where he took it down a few notches and bluesed it out big time. Wish my whistler worked better (or I had more harp skills)...

:bowdown: sara dallin of :bowdown: bananarama was born on the 17th of december, 19-whatever-the-year-i'm-not-gonna-tell ;)

so here is one of their :bowdown: many many many MANY fabulous hits

"only your love"

Happy Birthday mate! December 17th 1959 was the day Bob Stinson was born. In 1979 he and his half brother Tommy (who was 12), and Chris Mars would form Dogs Breath...which after the addition of Paul Westerberg a year later would become the Replacements...eventually, after being banned from a venue or two in a transitional incarnation.
In any event- I have a friend who I have never met but talk to all the time, and he sends me music stuff. I have Steve Earle's pics in my curio case, and an album that was dedicated to his brother, who loved the Replacements. His brother passed away very young, but was the bass player for the Cardinals (Ryan Adams and the...) and others, so I knew his work and talking about it with my friend made him decide to send me the record in question. Anyway, the album is by Bright Little Fields and is called Treatment Bound, An Ukulele Tribute to the Replacements. It was recorded on home equipment in a garage converted to a studio by two aging punk rockers...and as I said before, it is the best ukulele record in my collection. Nothing even comes close. The Papa Lemon is really good...but this is so good.
By the time I was buying punk, Stinson had been booted out of the band he started and Westerberg was pursuing a more commercial sound. I didn't like it so I ignored it...until this CD came in the mail from a guy I never met who thought I would like it. Now I know why all the older guys liked this stuff so much. Brilliant band I missed by thirty years but eventually made it back to.
Anyway- a feeble but passionate attempt at Kiss Me On The Bus, The Replacements.

Puplic transport seems to be a sub-theme for the week.
I was Waitin' for the Bus with Rick. But I don't know what he was thinking when he got on that bus in the last picture.

Can't believe I'm gonna spend my third and final song for the week on a redo.
Rick reminded me I've done this one before so I'm giving it another went on my Yamaha guitalele. Different enough take to keep me interested...

Thanks for the week and have a good birthday Geoff!

Frank Sinatra (December 12) recorded my favorite version of Jingle Bells. Here’s my version with the help of one of my Kindergarden classes.

Top Bottom