NUD Kimo tenor

As always, a great find. I especially like the string layout on the bridge, and that it is not laid out evenly and uniform. I love it when little things like this are added to make it something special.

Use it and play it well.

A great looking instrument Dave. What I want to know is how you have the room to store your extensive collection, lol.

You did it again Dave. I tell myself;"Okay, this is the last instrument." Then, you post another acquisition and has me looking at "perhaps one more". Great find Dave. Great collection going; perhaps you'll catch up to Stan one day.

It went to the right person.

Merry Christmas Dave. You got yourself a really nice looking Christmas present.

This is a sweet instrument.

Dave let me play it and I would say that it holds its own with any of his custom Ukes.

Congrats on another fabulous purchase.

@Osprey Thanks Cliff, I usually don't like the looks of a dark top with a light back and sides but this one spoke to me.

@Rappsy, When you give a compliment about a find it means a lot because you are the King of Great Finds. Thanks Lenny

@Hollisdwyer, My collection isn't that extensive, under 20:p. But I do have to split them into different rooms in the house. How are you enjoying that beautiful Beau Hannam??

@Patrick Madsen, Thanks for the complimenets Patrick I appreciate it. I also always think I am done then something interesting pops up. Most of my purchases have been of used ukes. I sold the Pono UL4-20 so a spot became available, hahaha!!

@luv2uke, A Christmas present from me to me, what a great way of looking at it, thanks. A very Merry Christmas to you as well. By the way I luv your user name.....see what I did there;)

@sam13, Hey buddy I am so glad you were impressed with it. Simon has a GREAT ear and if he gives it his stamp of approval then I know I have a good one. He can detect a bum note from a mile away. He is not affraid to tell the truth and I appreciate that.

Last edited:
Congrats! The wood is gorgeous! I'm a fan of koa/maple. Very nice combo.

Congrats! The wood is gorgeous! I'm a fan of koa/maple. Very nice combo.

Thank you.......this is my first exposure to koa and maple and I am really impressed with the sound. I am sure the builder has a lot to do with it as it usually does

Last edited:
After playing this exclusively for about 5 days I pulled the big boys for a head to head. Against my 3 best, LfdM, I'iwi and Ko'olau the Kimo holds its own. No sonic weaknesses and a very pleasing tone, a keeper for sure.

How does your Farallon rank among these instruments?

How does your Farallon rank among these instruments?

To be honest the Farallon is a step down in personal preference. My buddy Tim would tell you different and would buy my Farallon in a heart beat. But it is going up against very stiff competition, ukes costing much more. My personal preferences are #1 LfdM and I'iwi, #2 Ko'olau, #3 Kimo, #4 Webber and Farallon. These can change order depending on the mood I am in, sometimes I want bright other times warm.

Are you still performing on stage with yours? I know "Mezcalaro" loves his so much he has two and uses them almost exclusively on stage

Last edited:
Are you still performing on stage with yours? I know "Mezcalaro" loves his so much he has two and uses them almost exclusively on stage

Yes! Played holiday songs with one of my uke groups last weekend outside at a local town center over two days for about 4 hours. It was nice to have an instrument that plays great but presents no worries with respect to being exposed to extreme cold and snow.

Hi, Dave, Congrats! And hi, Brenda!

You keep giving me the opportunity to try high end instruments!
It’s dengous living so close to you. I always end up buying after I left your party !
You are a bad bad influence!
[/ATTACH]

I know living so close to Dave is dangerous.

Hi, Dave, Congrats! And hi, Brenda!

I know living so close to Dave is dangerous.

Thanks ZZ, I just like to help spread the joy. We are lucky for the good friends we have made in our area because of ukulele. Here on this site as well. Brenda said it best "We are so lucky to be so excited about something at this stage in life".

Last edited:
Ha ha ha ha
I am the lazy bunny riding on Dave - the turtle !
It should be the other way around with the bunny holding a whip because he tells me to move faster whenever he spotted an opportunity to a good uke!
Thanks for the cartoon!
We are all very excited whenever Dave buys a uke because that usually leads to a happy gathering!

To be honest the Farallon is a step down in personal preference... My personal preferences are #1 LfdM and I'iwi, #2 Ko'olau, #3 Kimo, #4 Webber and Farallon. These can change order depending on the mood I am in, sometimes I want bright other times warm.

I have been checking out his website for months but have been wanting to hear what his ukes sound like. The ones on youtube haven't had the best recording quality. Hopefully I could get down to Hale one of these days to check'em out in person. Congrats on an awesome uke!

I have been checking out his website for months but have been wanting to hear what his ukes sound like. The ones on youtube haven't had the best recording quality. Hopefully I could get down to Hale one of these days to check'em out in person. Congrats on an awesome uke!

Thanks for the kind words. No promises but I will try and put up a sound sample. But when my friend Adam, who is a very accomplished ukulele and guitar player says it sounds great and Simon, Brenda and Tim all agree, that is golden. They all played it at my house. We have a New Uke Party when one of us gets something new so we can all play it. I hope you do get a chance to visit Hales one day, looks like a very cool ukulele store.

Last edited:
Top Bottom