Daft Question Alert

RAB11

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've had this Snail concert for a couple months now and loved how it sounds High G but my Low G uke is getting to the point where it'll need restringing soon so I thought I might swap the two around to see how that sounds.

Only issue is have that I've never restrung a uke with this type of bridge before and don't know the technical term for it to search instructional videos. All the listings I can find online for it just have a normal bridge on it anyway.

The problem is the string ends are tucked under the bridge and sit inside the body so I don't know how I'm supposed to the a knot and feed it through. The uke has a side sound hole but I'm sure that's not the purpose of it.

Anyone got any ideas?

jpx79f.jpg

This is a string-through bridge. If it had a typical soundhole on the top, you would string it by passing a string into the hole in the bridge, pulling the end out through the soundhole, knotting it, and then tying the other end to the tuning peg. Since the small soundholes on the top would make that incredibly difficult to pull the string out, I'll assume using the side soundport is your best bet.

As for beads, washers, or knots, I'd only go with whatever the builder used. When you unstring the instrument, you'll find that out.

On another matter, the string-through bridge is fine with a more conventional soundhole. I wonder what Snail was thinking. You'll be able to do it, but it won't be easy fishing through those little slots.

Good luck with this. It seems clear at this point what you must do to restring. Gotta wonder about the manufacturer's sanity though if those snail-slots are the only openings on the body.

I imagine the side hole will make this pretty easy to do but, if not, just bend a piece of wire or something to make a hook that you can use to fish the strings out through the "snail hole".

This is the winner . Wire coat hangers are our friends.

just feed the string down in thru the string hole and out the side sound hole, then bead and/or knot the end and draw it back...easy peasy!

As for beads, washers, or knots, I'd only go with whatever the builder used. When you unstring the instrument, you'll find that out.

On another matter, the string-through bridge is fine with a more conventional soundhole. I wonder what Snail was thinking. You'll be able to do it, but it won't be easy fishing through those little slots.

I would not even consider doing a string through bridge without beads. Others may disagree.

Top Bottom