From sofa to...??

S11LKO

Reaction score
Hi guys,
As the few of you who've been kind enough to comment on my last few videos, I thought you may be interested to see this. Having seen my rubbish on YouTube I was recently contacted by the members of a new Country band being put together and asked to go audition as rhythm guitarist / backing vocals...and guess what? It surprisingly looks like they're only going offer me the job! lol
Now, my issue is, at age 61, do I really want the commitment to a full time gigging band when I've never played in a band before? Or do I continue blissfully amusing myself strumming and singing a few silly songs each day on my sofa like I've done for as long as I can remember?
Regards, Dave
(BTW: I'm the one nearest the camera with the bald head that's reflecting the light into your eyes, and when this took place I was suffering from a really bad head cold and super sore throat with even MORE little to no control over my voice than I usually have! lol)

Do I really want the commitment to a full time gigging band when I've never played in a band before?
Yes

Or do I continue blissfully amusing myself strumming and singing a few silly songs each day on my sofa like I've done for as long as I can remember?
No

...when this took place I was suffering from a really bad head cold and super sore throat with even MORE little to no control over my voice than I usually have! lol)
You might get more mileage out of that that story on stage. Then again, maybe not.

It surprisingly looks like they're only going offer me the job! lol
Congratulations! The couch is overrated

HaHa! You do make me laugh my friend. Simply love your sense of humour! I have until the new year to make up my mind and I'll probably go with it as you advise because I'm sure it'll be a real blast.; and the income will come in useful too...although I play my 'music' just for the sheer enjoyment of it so would gig with them happily for nothing. (Don't tell them that though! lol) x

What a fantastic opportunity. I've never played in a band full-time, so I can't offer any real world advice, but it sure sounds like fun. Whatever you decide, best of luck Dave.

Luke

I'd say it depends on whether you still work a full-time day job, and what do you mean by full-time band? How many gigs per month? I'm also 61, and play guitar in a classic rock band, gigging 2x/month, and it's fine for me. We try to spread the gigs out, not doing 2-3 Saturdays in a row, to keep the spouses happy.

Our set up scenario would sound somewhat similar to yours Ukecaster. The idea is to gig perhaps twice per month. I’m retired now so have the time. I’m just assuming gigs will be mostly at weekends and was wondering if wifey would get irritated by my not then available to do things with her? But if we controlled and spread them out as you do I’m sure it’d be fine. If an ‘open event’ she could even come along, have a couple of drinks, and watch.
I’ve today been contacted by a rock covers band who want to speak to me too, so it’s nice to have others to share my love of music with in any form I can. Thanks for the comment.

It may take some time to get used to the late nights, the drugs and the groupies. But you’ll adjust. Look at Keith Richards.

Keith Richards? Oh poo!! I’m ugly enough to start with. If it’s going to make me look like him I better turn down the offer now! And the only drugs I take nowadays are for my cholesterol, high blood pressure, and Type 2 Diabetes!!! lol

I have until the new year to give them an answer Luke as they’ve (sensibly) realised that not much is going to happen over the next two weeks of Christmas. After the new year it’ll be all systems go! I’m leaning towards it as it great fun making a noise with others!
And no...I don’t have Keith’s “gnarled hands” - ALL of me is beautiful!! lolololol (In my dreams only!)

Dave x

....I’m just assuming gigs will be mostly at weekends and was wondering if wifey would get irritated by my not then available to do things with her? But if we controlled and spread them out as you do I’m sure it’d be fine. If an ‘open event’ she could even come along, have a couple of drinks, and watch.....

Most all gigs on Saturday nights. My wife is not really into it, but I've explained that it's my only real hobby, so she is agreeable to a point. She comes to gigs occasionally, but not alone, only when other friends want to check out our band. Just be sure to do fun stuff (with her!) on the Saturday nights you are NOT playing.

Congratulations! :cool:

I think you're doing the right thing. You might regret it later, if you don't take it up. You don't want to be wondering what might have been.

Congratulations! I find it hard to believe that you’ve never been in a group before.

Didn’t realize that there are country bands in the UK.

Saw your Eko 12 string in your sig; a frend of mine had a solid body silver metal flake 4 pickup Eko with push button pickup selector in the 60’s.

How exciting! I say go for it! If it becomes too much, or it doesn't work out, you can always stop. I'll bet it will be energizing and fun! Congrats!

ampeep & chopped liver - thanks for both your comments which are appreciated. EKO still produce guitars in Italy and there are one or two distributors here in the U.K. but they’re hard to find. I don’t know what they’re like today, but back in the 70’s when I bought mine they were tremendous value for money with excellent built quality, sound and playability. I love my old girl and she’s looking pretty darn good for being nearly 50 years old! lol

Top Bottom