Thread: Strings for Gretsch roots banjo ukulele - concert size.

Chester, VT

Default Strings for Gretsch roots banjo ukulele - concert size.

I just received a used Gretsch banjo ukulele. It had Aquila reds on it and they were far too harsh for my ear. I looked through my box of stuff and found the unused half of a set of Oasis warm from a soprano. I strung her up and like the sound so much more. It is indeed warmer, retains its banjo sound - it is far less strident. I also replaced the horrid Grover bridge that came with it and installed a reconfigured 5 string bridge. I find the bridge makes it more mellow too. On top of all this, as I am passing it on to a lefty, I have strung it backwards. I am playing the chords backwards at this time as I want to play in the new strings as well as have fun.

Yes it is a nice instrument but has needed some set up, including head tension - it was far too tight. I have yet to take the corners of the nut which are far too sharp.

Other string suggestions that I can pass on?
    Kamaka pineapple soprano gold label - 1950s
    Kamaka custom soprano, gold label. 1960s?
    Mele pineapple soprano - koa and mahogany - modern
    Kamaka tenor - 2002
    Mele, Braddah tenor 1990s
    Slingerland banjolele Maybell - 1920s

I like the Dunlop Vsd-7 strings. I've tried them on a few ukes and one banjo uke, and think their tone is very nice and warm.

I like Worth browns on my banjoleles.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Thread Information