Fs: Kamaka ohta-san

stevejfc

Reaction score
SOLD: VERY NICE CASCADING SPRUCE AND CURLY KOA KAMAKA OHTA-SAN, also known as the concert bell shape deluxe. This is the model that was designed by Sam Kamaka Jr. and Herb Ohta. It is a 16" concert scale with nice tight cascading spruce soundboard, beautiful curly koa back, sides and headboard plate, deluxe rosewood binding, rope purfling and rosette, ebony fretboard and bridge and bone nut and saddle. It has the upgraded factory installed German premium made Schaller precise closed geared tuners with pearl buttons. Mother of pearl Kamaka logo headstock inlay and position markers.
History: Was made in 2012 and I am the 2nd owner. I have owned for 4+ years. It was kept in our house up north under proper humidity and temperature. Just under 2 years ago we were notified that our power was out. I arrived to the house after 60+/- hours and the temperature was still below freezing. The uke appeared ok, though I could feel some light waving of the spruce on the sound board in the area just past the bridge. I contacted Chris Kamaka about this, and he recommended that I slowly bring the instrument up to 60+ degree temperature and then keep it in the 50+ range of humidity in it's case. After a month, this resolved the waving issue, though it can be felt very slightly, (not seen), with your finger tip. I did then notice that the very bottom corner of the bridge had lifted ever so slightly. (please see picture). You can see that a piece of paper can just slipped in about a 1/16" of an inch. I consulted with Chris K. again and also my local luthier. Both advised just to leave it alone unless it worsened. It has stayed exactly the same (stable) for the last 2 years.
This is a beautiful playing and sweet sounding ukulele. It strums nicely and is a dream to play finger-picking style. It is strung with PHD's 1-3 and a smooth wound Fremont Soloist Low G. With the exception as noted above it is in excellent condition with only the usual very light, non-photographable strum marks on the treble side of the sound board and a couple of small ring finger scuffs on the edge of the fret board treble side. Comes with the original Kamaka arch top hard case. New these sell for $2195. I want to be up front as to the history, but want to assure potential buyers that this is a wonderful instrument. As such, For Sale: SOLD shipped CONUS Please feel free to PM me for any additional information.
DSCN2294.jpgDSCN2288.jpgDSCN2289.jpgDSCN2292.jpgDSCN2291.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! This is a beautiful ukulele. I've been fortunate enough to play one of these at a local music store. They really sing and are so easy to play.
This is a wonderful deal on a wonderful ukulele. It's great you're being very upfront about the history of the ukulele.

If I could have any Kamaka uke I wanted this is it.
Somebody's gonna get a real humdinger!

For me, this scale length is perfect. I have a cedar top, and it's a joy to play. Someone is going to get a special ukulele at a great price.

Top Bottom