Check IMUA And Their Holiday Specials!

I joined UU recently and just saw this, so I thought I'd chime in. I have an Imua tenor iTN that I got at Music Exchange in Kona, Hawai'i a couple of years ago (great shop, BTW!). I think it was about $650 new which I figured was an awesome deal for a solid Koa ukulele made in Hawai'i. It's a beautiful instrument, very well made, extremely playable even with my fat fingers, and I love the sound when I play it on its own. However, I do a lot of recording and often double uke with guitar, and the Imua doesn't quite have the attack and punch I get from my other ukuleles, tending a little more mid range and kind of competing with the guitar a bit. I didn't really notice this until I recently picked up a vintage Kamaka (yet another impulse buy), which within a few weeks has become my go to recording ukulele.

The Kamaka is a concert and the Imua is a tenor, so I suspect I'm hearing a lot of difference just in body sizes, but I also suspect (after joining UU and reading some posts) that I may need to try some different strings on the Imua - currently it's set up with Aquila new nylgut, I think.

Don't get me wrong - I love playing the Imua and its the one I take out the most when I'm not recording with other instruments. If I ever record solo ukulele (I need to get better playing first :)), it would probably be the one I choose of my current set because it has a nice full sound.

Anyway, once I get some new strings on it I'll post a better review if anyone's interested. That said, I think Imua is now just doing custom and limited special orders (https://www.imuabrand.com/shop), so there might not be much new supply of them out there going forward.

I joined UU recently and just saw this, so I thought I'd chime in. I have an Imua tenor iTN that I got at Music Exchange in Kona, Hawai'i a couple of years ago (great shop, BTW!). I think it was about $650 new which I figured was an awesome deal for a solid Koa ukulele made in Hawai'i. It's a beautiful instrument, very well made, extremely playable even with my fat fingers, and I love the sound when I play it on its own. However, I do a lot of recording and often double uke with guitar, and the Imua doesn't quite have the attack and punch I get from my other ukuleles, tending a little more mid range and kind of competing with the guitar a bit. I didn't really notice this until I recently picked up a vintage Kamaka (yet another impulse buy), which within a few weeks has become my go to recording ukulele.

The Kamaka is a concert and the Imua is a tenor, so I suspect I'm hearing a lot of difference just in body sizes, but I also suspect (after joining UU and reading some posts) that I may need to try some different strings on the Imua - currently it's set up with Aquila new nylgut, I think.

Don't get me wrong - I love playing the Imua and its the one I take out the most when I'm not recording with other instruments. If I ever record solo ukulele (I need to get better playing first :)), it would probably be the one I choose of my current set because it has a nice full sound.

Anyway, once I get some new strings on it I'll post a better review if anyone's interested. That said, I think Imua is now just doing custom and limited special orders (https://www.imuabrand.com/shop), so there might not be much new supply of them out there going forward.

That's interesting. I wonder how the recording would sound with a soprano. I also wonder if that's why so many recording musicians choose Kamaka--aside from being sponsored.

I'd like to read your review.

@rainytown, yes put on some different strings, try some Worth or D'Addario Flurocarbon and see what you think.

Aquila New Nylgut aren't exactly lively strings, more warmth and mellow...

@Ziret - it just so happens that I have a soprano on order as of yesterday (this is my year for UAS I guess), and I am very excited to try it paired with my guitars. I do a lot of finger picking on the guitar, and I'm loving the ethereal sound of an ukulele in the high ranges as an accompaniment, either also picked or lightly strummed. I don't know much about Kamaka - but the one I picked up recently just sounded too lovely to pass up - whether it's the build or the age of the uke, I can really hear (or imagine I hear!) the wood on that little concert in a way that I don't with any of my other acoustic instruments, including my guitars, and also it has focus and projection that seem larger than would be possible from a small body. Compared to the Imua, I'm getting more sustain and a little more projection out of the Kamaka, but again, strings could be a factor - I don't know what the Kamaka is strung with because I haven't changed them yet. Also keep in mind that I'm still reasonably inexperienced with ukuleles and I play them like a guitarist at the moment, so take my ear's opinion with a grain of salt :).

@AlohaKine, thanks for the recommendation! Yes, that definitely lines up with what I'm hearing - a nice sound, but maybe not what I'm looking for at the moment. I'll check out the D'Addarios and see how that sounds.

@Ziret - it just so happens that I have a soprano on order as of yesterday (this is my year for UAS I guess), and I am very excited to try it paired with my guitars. I do a lot of finger picking on the guitar, and I'm loving the ethereal sound of an ukulele in the high ranges as an accompaniment, either also picked or lightly strummed. I don't know much about Kamaka - but the one I picked up recently just sounded too lovely to pass up - whether it's the build or the age of the uke, I can really hear (or imagine I hear!) the wood on that little concert in a way that I don't with any of my other acoustic instruments, including my guitars, and also it has focus and projection that seem larger than would be possible from a small body. Compared to the Imua, I'm getting more sustain and a little more projection out of the Kamaka, but again, strings could be a factor - I don't know what the Kamaka is strung with because I haven't changed them yet. Also keep in mind that I'm still reasonably inexperienced with ukuleles and I play them like a guitarist at the moment, so take my ear's opinion with a grain of salt :).

@AlohaKine, thanks for the recommendation! Yes, that definitely lines up with what I'm hearing - a nice sound, but maybe not what I'm looking for at the moment. I'll check out the D'Addarios and see how that sounds.

Well there's lots of strings to choose from and a lot of variety, just try all the ones out there for the Uke... ;)

Top Bottom