guitalele tuning?

Wooville

Reaction score
Maysville, Kentucky "on the banks of the Ohio"
A friend of mine picked up a yamaha guitalele. What are
popular tuning beside standard guitar tuning?

Thanks!

Standard tuning for a guitalele is ADGCEA (like a guitar with a capo on the fifth fret).
An open C tuning would be great: GCGCEG. (Spanish tuning up 5 frets)
You could also try an open G: GDGBDG. (Vastopol tuning up 5 frets)
Or GDGCBG (DADGAD,up 5 frets)
Some suggestions, but it's your friend's guitalele and he/she can tune it any way that works.

I mostly use Terz tuning (GCFBbDG), but with a scale that is longer than the Yamaha (21" instead of 17").

You could also try Nashville tuning or Kiku tuning, i.e. with the bass strings being replaced by lighter gauge strings tuned an octave higher.

Southcoast offers some nice explanations and string sets here:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/ti-efs.htm

I have a Yamaha FG75 in Nashville tuning (eadgBE). I'd think the stings would be pretty floppy on a neck as short as the guitalele unless you tuned it adgcEA.

Hey Rakelele, I've never heard of Kiku tuning. How does it differ from Nashville tuning?

Last edited:
I have a Yamaha FG75 in Nashville tuning (eadgBE). I'd think the stings would be pretty floppy on a neck as short as the guitalele unless you tuned it adgcEA.

Hey Rakelele, I've never heard of Kiku tuning yt apk
How does it differ from Nashville tuning?
Kiku tuning, it's a variation of Nashville tuning where the bass strings are tuned up an octave higher but with slightly heavier gauge strings. The idea behind Kiku tuning is to balance out the tension on the strings, so that the higher strings are not too light and the lower strings are not too heavy. This can result in a brighter and more balanced sound, especially on recordings where the higher strings can cut through the mix better. Kiku tuning is not as widely known as Nashville tuning, but it can be a great option for those who want to experiment with alternate guitar tunings.

Last edited:
Kiku tuning, it's a variation of Nashville tuning where the bass strings are tuned up an octave higher but with slightly heavier gauge strings. The idea behind Kiku tuning is to balance out the tension on the strings, so that the higher strings are not too light and the lower strings are not too heavy. This can result in a brighter and more balanced sound, especially on recordings where the higher strings can cut through the mix better. Kiku tuning is not as widely known as Nashville tuning, but it can be a great option for those who want to experiment with alternate guitar tunings.
This topic always gets very confusing because one party may be talking about a 17" scale instrument generically referred to as a guilele while another party on the subject is talking about a 19", 20" or even a longer scale instrument, yet rarely does anyone ever mention the ever important scale length during these discussions. (apples-apples, oranges-oranges, apples-oranges) Scale length really makes a difference when it comes to strings/string sets.

Thanks for any clarification in advance!!
Wm.

Last edited:
Q) What is the "Kiku tuning" for a 20" scale guitar (aka guitalele, guitarlele or Kiku) and what type of (nylon) string set would be required to achieve this tuning?

A) eaDGBE; recommend the Living Water DGBE set, and a Thomastik-Infeld CF30 and a CF27 for the e and a strings. (See Below-Thanks Bill1)
also:
two sets of baritone uke strings using the D and G of the second set as the e and a strings. (See below-Thanks Baconsalad)

Last edited:
Thanks Bill1!

Thanks baconsalad!

That is exactly what I needed. Off I go on a Kiku tuned adventure.

Last edited:
In standard tuning, I employ these two guitaleles. To provide context, I included a soprano ukulele.

Since Bill deleted his post, it's unfortunately not much use to reference it, so I'll add the link here that he referenced and which the OP found useful:

Top Bottom