Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enya Poor Quality Control

Default Enya Poor Quality Control

There have been a lot of posts here by people who have been very happy with their super inexpensive Enya ukes over the last few months. I was looking for a knock-a-about uke to keep by my desk, so I ordered their HPL Enya EUT-X1 a few months ago. I really liked the idea of no maintenance HPL on the body with Richlite on the fingerboard. No concerns about humidity at all, with a raidused fretboard to boot.

When it arrived I expected the action to be a bit high, but not to be lopsided the way it was. The action at the 12th fret was 3.1 mm on the first string, and just 2.3 mm on the 4th. I thought that maybe the saddle hadn't been filed correctly, so I removed it, and found that the problem was the saddle slot itself was lopsided, being 0.8 mm deeper on one end than the other. There was enough saddle showing for me to sand it down to get about 2.3 to 2.4 mm across the strings, but that sure didn't leave much saddle showing.

But the bigger problem turned out to be the neck. When I first got the uke it seemed fine. But after a couple of months it seemed as if the action was going up. I checked the relief on the neck and found that while it had been almost flat when I received it, the relief was now over 0.015". This would be a high value for a guitar, let alone the short neck of a uke. So the neck had warped in just a few months.

I contacted Enya, and initially they were helpful, sending me replacement saddles. But they insisted that the neck could not warp because if had a radius. (Huh?) And in any case, other people had not complained about their necks warping, so it didn't happen.

As I write this the relief has grown to 0.024" at the fifth fret, which is an absurd amount of bend. I tried to capture the curve of the neck in a photo or two, with a straight edge on the left side of the photo to show that the curvature you see is not a result of the lens.

Anyway, I don't have that much invested in this, so I'm just writing it off an experiment. But I really did want this uke to work, so it's quite a disappointment. Let's hope all of your Enya experiences are better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That neck looks like a banana! Chalk it down to experience I guess
    All the best,
    Campbell

How much was it?
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross Instruments
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by DPO View Post
    How much was it?
    About $120 I think.

Don't these things come with interchangeable necks? They may even send you a replacement.
    All the best,
    Campbell

That is not right. Send them the pictures, better yet send them the link to this post. Explain to them UU is the largest ukulele community in the world. Use the power of social media, if they won't stand behind their products everyone will know and sales will suffer greatly.

I own three different Enya X1 ukuleles and so far my necks are fine and no issue with saddle height. I will keep an eye on them as they are less than one month old. Good luck
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I have one arriving on Monday .
    Let’s see if it survives a huge temperature change from 30C in Asia to -10C in Canada .
    Yes Camsuke is right, the neck is changeable. Perhaps ask them to replace or send a new neck? If you bought from amazon. They are usually quite good at protecting you and sellers act very quickly prevent you from writing bad review.
    You should not leave it be just because it’s cheap.
    Last edited by SoloRule; 12-16-2017 at 04:10 AM.
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

This is why I don’t recommend enya or other Chinese ukes to my students. I have 3 enya’s and they are all quit nice. However, one I got for free and two I got for $22 apiece. I use them as loaners in my classes. But they are quirky enough that I fear they represent typical low cost Chinese goods. They can be a great deal but quality control is lacking. If you have problems you have no recourse. For $25 or less, well worth the risk for a car uke or beach or camping uke. But otherwise I can’t recommend them. If you do get a bad one amazon has a liberal return policy. Don’t expect to get service to fix it.

Sorry to hear, I wonder about them...

besley, how did you contact them? I thought their site was pretty impressive looking, and the email on the contact page I tried to email them a few times, but never heard any word back, and that then didn't impress me....

This might seem odd to people here, not sure, but we all know there are a lot of companies out there.

So with companies like Ohana and Kala, I'm sure people here will agree they make nice Chinese Ukes, if many people start putting there business into other companies like this Enya, with hardly any background or reputation, I'm afraid the good companies in the long run will suffer.

Hmm
    Last edited by AlohaKine; 12-16-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    Looking For My Next Uke!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    Sorry to hear, I wonder about them...

besley, how did you contact them? I thought their site was pretty impressive looking, and the email on the contact page I tried to email them a few times, but never heard any word back, and that then didn't impress me....

This might seem odd to people here, not sure, but we all know there are a lot of companies out there.

So with companies like Ohana and Kala, I'm sure people here will agree they make nice Chinese Ukes, if many people start putting there business into other companies like this Enya, with hardly any background or reputation, I'm afraid the good companies in the long run will suffer.

Hmm
    I contacted them through Amazon, and got replies by email.

Huizhou Enya Musical Instruments Co. ltd - Amazon Marketplace <xhdr8jdy57spzfq@marketplace.amazon.com>

"Due to our ukulele use the Black Richlite of fingerboard, it's radian, and the Black Richlite is more stable compare with the rosewood.
    A lot of customers buy our ukulele, none of them review the problem of neck with bend.
    Maybe our ukulele can't meet your requirement, you can choose other more high level ukulele which accord with your requirement."

Thread Information