Enya Poor Quality Control

Well I'm happy to be able to report back that the Huizhou Enya Musical Instruments Company reached out to me to offer a refund for my EUT-X1, which I have since received. I still don't understand what happened with my Enya ukes, especially since I still seem to be the only one to have ever had an issue. But in the end they did the right thing, and I didn't even have to go through the hassle of sending the uke back (which would certainly have been more trouble than it was worth). I still love the design so much that who knows, I may wait a few months and order another!

Hi Dave - I am looking at purchasing the Enya X1 - would you mind giving an update since you've had it for a few months now? How do you find the action and intonation?

It seems that with factory produced ukes, you can get excellent or not so excellent. I bought an Enya concert that was on sale for a few hours on Amazon. It was just $18,21 delivered - with all the goodies Enya usually supplies. It's in surprisingly good condition. I also bought an Enya tenor that I'm going to convert to a resonator. I guess I got lucky with both of them. With Amazon, and many other companies, returning a defective item isn't a big deal.

Hi Dave - I am looking at purchasing the Enya X1 - would you mind giving an update since you've had it for a few months now? How do you find the action and intonation?

I am not sure if you mean "me-Dave" but I will reply. I own three Enya X1 ukes, a round body soprano, pineapple soprano and concert. All are well made instruments and I won't even say for the price because they are well made period. Action, like on most factor ukes is a tad high but very playable and just fine. Intonation is ok, not perfect but few are, especially when you start changing strings. Again it is ok and quite playable straight out of the box. I have been happy with these and my friends that have played them have been impressed

I second that.
My pineapple is as good as any under $400 uke
Neck is straight ( I have it since before Christmas) and I just left it out of the bag all day all night even when I was on vacation and the house had minimual heating ! Humidity dropped to 20%!
I think it’s passed my test. Time to give it a set of good strings.

Last edited:
I've posted on this thread before, but it might be worth while to repeat myself.
We have bought 6 Enyas, one of them is a round camp style HPL EUR-X1.
All are very good quality. Most were restrung with Martin FC strings and gifted or loaned, we did keep a couple.
I still recommend them at retail prices from Amazon, if you get a bad one you can return it.

me as a Chinese low grade UAS, I really don't like both ENYA and its sister KAKA.

Hello Everyone

Last edited:
Thank you! Glad to hear your positive comments because I did end up ordering the Enya X1 Tenor!! Can’t wait to hear how she sounds!

Enya X1 camp ukes:

They have held up these past two months to four year old kid and six year old kid usage, which is to say strumming mightily and randomly plucking. They have been really good about putting back in the case when not using the ukes.

This morning, they appeared exactly like they did Christmas day thanks to the HPL material. We played together. Then I traded off my granddaughter's Enya with my Outdoor Ukulele as she wanted to play it. I did a song on her Enya with chucking/palming the fretboard, and immediately noticed the sharp edges of the frets. Both ukes were like that. Not having the means to tape off the fretboard, get a real file etc., I just pulled out an emery board from my gig bag and ran it parallel and perpendicular over the edges. Figured the kids wouldn't notice if it scuffed up the uke. Didn't scuff up the Richlite fretboard at all, and the cheapie emery board smoothed the edges down to where I feel ok about them playing the ukes.

It was not like that when I gave it to them two months ago, so there was some shrinkage. By the same token, my HPL Martin OXK with a Morado fretboard also needs the frets dressed after several years, so I am not considering that a quality control issue.

All in all, it was a great purchase, the kids love the accessories as much as the ukes, and it keep their interest in playing along with me.

BTW, the bags are great and if Enya sold them separately, I would get them for my other camp ukes.

Last edited:
After noticing how high the action is on the neck of my Enya tenor (after one month of purchase) I thought I’d check out this forum to see if anyone else has had issues. I also bought the Enya “OMS” concert size Koa laminate and mahogany (Koa yet to be received). I’m afraid the action on the mahogany may have also increased since purchase.

I’m disappointed to say the least but I guess it’s to be expected with these brands. My next purchase is the Islander Koa AT-4 which hopefully will have a better outcome compared to the Enya.

After noticing how high the action is on the neck of my Enya tenor (after one month of purchase) I thought I’d check out this forum to see if anyone else has had issues. I also bought the Enya “OMS” concert size Koa laminate and mahogany (Koa yet to be received). I’m afraid the action on the mahogany may have also increased since purchase......

Well to be fair we ought to separate those two issues. High action out of the box is not really poor quality control, since even many good ukes come with high action from the factory. It's safer to make it that way, since it's much easier to lower action than to raise it. (Martin guitars are famous for this too.) But if you're fairly sure the action has changed with time, THAT'S a problem.

WOW this Enya post is still going on...

Was the original issue resolved?

Months later I never received any email replies from this company... Hmm

Yes, the original issue was resolved. Besley was refunded the amount of the purchase, and the ukulele now resides as a part of our ukulele set at my school. We generally use the first five frets, so the bowed neck does not cause any problems as we use it.

Yes, the original issue was resolved. Besley was refunded the amount of the purchase, and the ukulele now resides as a part of our ukulele set at my school. We generally use the first five frets, so the bowed neck does not cause any problems as we use it.

How to sight a neck, that bowed neck will certainly come in handy then... ;)

Top Bottom