Season 305: Holiday Extravaganza!

I couldn't stop at one song with such a beautiful backdrop there in San Diego..

"It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" - a traditional Christmas Carol.

This is a simple production: just a tenor Eleuke & vocal + a little harmony. The GOOD NEWS is the performance video “failed” (due to operator error :p) so nobody has to look at my old face!

It’s Christmas time at my house; the Season for singing carols… but my stuff might sound less like a “Christmas Carol” and more like a “Carole King” noodling session 😎.

Finally found time to get something done. I wrote this over the past couple of weeks. I've added some tenor and bass recorder to the mix.

Lyrics & Chords (also on YT)

Yuletide Carol
Words & Music: Geoff Walker

[D]It's December once again
[D]With sleet and snow and [G]hail and rain
The [G]month of [D]Yuletide [A]feast is here
As [D]it's the [G]turning [A7]of the [D]year

So [D]celebrate the jovial time
And [D]let the merri[G]ment begin
[G]For the darkness [D]it is [A]ending
And the [D]light, it [G]is asc[A7]end[D]ing

Chorus
So [D]Celebrate, come [G]Celebrate
Come [G]Celebrate [A7]this Yuletide [D]feast

Long time ago and far away
Some shepherds in the fields did lay
Watching o'er their flocks abiding
When an angel came with glad tidings

In Bethlehem not far away
A baby boy is born today
In a manger he has been laid
For there was nowhere else to stay
Chorus

Three Lordly men came from the east
To find the babe mid fowl and beast
They brought their presents to him there
Of Gold and Frankincense and Myrrh

So everyone be of good cheer
It is the turning of the year
It is the ending of the night
It is the coming of the light.
Chorus

As the big day approaches, we continue to receive wonderful songs!

UkuleleLibrarian You Gotta Get Up (It’s Christmas Morning) Fun song - new to me. It fits you very well!

pabrizzer Hey Santa Oh yeah. Nothing like raw greed for the Season!

UkeFoote Carol of the Bells Oh this is something special! Beautiful playing and arrangement.

mythinformed Silent Night This is such a simple, beautiful tune that I never tire of it. And your playing is terrific!

stanat20 Rudolph the rednosed reindeer instrumental Yeah baby! Now here's a Christmas song! Really good playing here!

pabrizzer Good Cheer So different yet just as wonderful as the Martin's original! Nice.

Ginas uke Happy Christmas A welcome addition to the Season - and you sound terrific on this!

Barbablanca A Modern Day Scrooge You won't hear a "Bah, humbug" from me for this song - it's a good one!

Joko White Christmas Welcome back to the USA! Hope you have a terrific holiday. Love the bari!

Jazzbanjorex Batteries Not Included Great song, thanks for bringing it!

pabrizzer Happy Hanukkah You're right, we needed a Hanukkah song here. Good one!

AlanDP Feliz Navidad Oh yeah! So happy this made it to the playlist, and your take is awesome!

Joko Blue Christmas You're channeling Elvis this week! Good one, still loving the bari!

Surly-Mac It Came Upon A Midnight Clear Ooh, I like your take on this. Very nice interpretation of this classic!

Tootler Yuletide Carol Well this is just a treat! So well done.

Here's one most famously done by Bill Monroe, though it's been recorded by many artists. This song kicked my butt!!! Whew...

I thought why not record another version of this great song by our fellow seasionista, here my take for this year on Lesley Fowkes's - Tread softly to the stable

Last edited:
thanks for hosting the week Randy.
a traditional Christmas song we learnt from Ruth Crawford Seeger.

While searching for a "christmas" song I didn't know, I ran across a vid of Lucinda Williams doing a sound check with this one. This is my sound check, but I decided to upload it. It was written and recorded by Merle Haggard; others recorded it as well. Not overly cheery, it is for those who need that balance.

Just a bit of fun to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all Seasonistas :)

I adapted a very traditional British song which is hundreds of years old - known as the Gloucestershire Wassail. Wassail means 'Be Healthy' in Anglo Saxon and therefore I wish you all a very healthy and happy New Year

Wassail, Wassail, all over the town
Out toast it is white and our ale it is brown
Our bowl it is made of the white maple tree
With the wassailing bowl, we'll drink to thee

So here's to Brian, to Steve, Val and John
To Linda and Lynda, Mark, Ryan and Tom
The Martins, The Carters, to Guzzler and Greyghost
And cheers to Randy our Seasonal Host

[chorus]

To Trent, to Jodi, to Chelsea and Dennis
To Alan and Gina, Ralf, Rob, Stan and Liz
As Happy New Year as you ever did see
With my Wassailing Bowl I drink to Thee

[chorus]

To David and Damon, to Dave, Wim and Dick
Andy, Rex, Geoff, to Robin, and Rick
To all Seasonistas, wherever you be
With the wassailing bowl, we'll drink to thee!

[chorus]

This is probably my last of this week, so thanks Randy for a fun one! This is the B side of Bucks Owens' "Santa looked a lot like Daddy" that I kicked off the week doing. I liked this one just as much though when I was a kid. My uncle used to try to "beat me up" for listening to this one cause it was "twangy country" in his words, and he didn't understand how I could possibly like it, though he too liked "Santa looked a lot like Daddy", which was just as "twangy". lol Talk about suffering for my art huh? I took the sporanino challenge on this one.

If Trent and Alan have held up their end of the bargain, this Buck Owens (Corkey Jones) tune is already here...wish I had time to go check. Anyway- Santa Looked a Lot Like Daddy. From the Kitchen. With Kale and Lentils...and some carrots.

Top Bottom