Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Youkulele

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who Cares

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or is it funny that some people can't even accept that there is more than one proper pronunciation for the word "ukulele?" There are words for people like this, but I am too polite to use them... so I'll just refer to those words and let you assign them yourself!:p

Language is fluid, ever-changing, and varies greatly between locales. It is a fascinating subject.

In England there is an accent which, according to The Oxford English Dictionary, is the standard pronunciation for English words in Britain. It is known as Received Pronunciation, and is sometimes referred to as "the Queen's English." Interestingly, recordings show that even the Queen herself no longer pronounces certain words the same way she did 50 years ago! Thus, the Queen's English has evolved. Neat, huh?

Phonetic variation has been introduced to the pronunciation of every single word we speak with the passage of time and the separation of distance... including the word "ukulele." This variation contributes to the birth of local dialects and eventually even to the birth of entirely new languages! It is a testament to the great diversity and adaptability of mankind, and it is essential to the continuous development of one of our most important tools: language!

So--don't knock those who say it the other way. Instead, embrace the flexibility and utility of human linguistics. It is a miracle perhaps unparalleled by any other human trait.

Is it just me or is it funny that some people can't even accept that there is more than one proper pronunciation for the word "ukulele?" There are words for people like this, but I am too polite to use them... so I'll just refer to those words and let you assign them yourself!:p

Language is fluid, ever-changing, and varies greatly between locales. It is a fascinating subject.

In England there is an accent which, according to The Oxford English Dictionary, is the standard pronunciation for English words in Britain. It is known as Received Pronunciation, and is sometimes referred to as "the Queen's English." Interestingly, recordings show that even the Queen herself no longer pronounces certain words the same way she did 50 years ago! Thus, the Queen's English has evolved. Neat, huh?

Phonetic variation has been introduced to the pronunciation of every single word we speak with the passage of time and the separation of distance... including the word "ukulele." This variation contributes to the birth of local dialects and eventually even to the birth of entirely new languages! It is a testament to the great diversity and adaptability of mankind, and it is essential to the continuous development of one of our most important tools: language!

So--don't knock those who say it the other way. Instead, embrace the flexibility and utility of human linguistics. It is a miracle perhaps unparalleled by any other human trait.

Ukulele is a Hawaiian word, there is only one pronunciation ---> OO-koo-le-le or some will say OO-koo-leh-leh :shaka:

Here's a YouTube video someone saying it correctly;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvFXnx2mJI

A Wiki explaining it;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ukulele#Pronunciation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele

Last edited:
I have seen it in dictionaries listing both pronunciations as correct. As MopMan indicates, language is ever changing. There are plenty of words out there from various languages, names of cities around the world, regional words and expressions, etc that have become anglicized over time. Heck, go to the UK and you will find plenty of words that are pronounced differently than they are in the US.

This is getting to be like a debate of 'color' (US) vs. 'colour' (UK)

or

'ukulele' (US) vs. 'ukelele' (UK, DE)

Just use the silly crayons already and be happy :)

Don't take me the wrong way, I'm only explaining is all, and I understand what people mean about these changes.

But the Uke is a very serious part of Hawaiian History and the pronunciation of it has not changed in over 100 years.

The reason it is this way, is if you understand the Hawaiian Vowels and how you pronounce them.

I'd say go ask Kamaka and see what they have to say, they are the Father of the Uke in Hawaii.

Let's hear what Kamaka has to say, or a Hawaiian Language Professor. :shaka:

Last edited:
Ukulele is a Hawaiian word, there is only one pronunciation ---> OO-koo-le-le or some will say OO-koo-leh-leh :shaka:

Here's a YouTube video someone saying it correctly;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvFXnx2mJI

A Wiki explaining it;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ukulele#Pronunciation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele

There is never only one way to pronounce any word. The youkelele is a worldwide instrument and as such can be pronounced any way you choose.
I choose a You rather than an Oo.

Don't take me the wrong way, I'm only explaining is all, and I understand what people mean about these changes.

But the Uke is a very serious part of Hawaiian History and the pronunciation of it has not changed in over 100 years.

The reason it is this way, is if you understand the Hawaiian Vowels and how you pronounce them.

I'd say go ask Kamaka and see what they have to say, they are the Father of the Uke in Hawaii.

Let's hear what Kamaka has to say. :shaka:

In my own experience, in the Mainland USA, if you pronounce it as oo-koo-lay-lee, most people will not know what you are talking about unless they also play the instrument, and everyone else will think you are a pretentious tard.

Unfortunately, very few people understand or care for the heritage of the instrument, beyond us crazies here on UU and in the state of Hawaii.

Thus, there is this discrepancy.

I am not from HI, nor speak the language, but appreciate the meanings of Aloha and Mahalo, and use them when talking with other ukulele players, but outside of that, I will get funny looks and have been told to stop being 'a wierdo'.

So there is a time and place, but you will be greatly disappointed if you want to impose the proper Hawaiian pronunciation upon the masses, as most of them will just not listen, either due to apathy or malicious ignorance.

I grew up with lots of Italian folks around me, who's grandparents came from Italy via Ellis Island, and even though the folks my age, never spoke a lick of conversational Italian, said things like 'pasta fazool' for 'pasta fagiole' and 'mutza-rell' for mozzarella, and 'rigg-ohtt' for ricotta. I dunno if it was a cultural thing, but without them having any exposure to actual conversational spoken Italian and never having visited Italy, it seemed awfully pretentious to me, especially when they 'corrected' my pronunciation and I was considered the idiot for not knowing how to speak Italian. Think of that horrible MTV show 'Jersey Shore' but 10x worse.

I am glad to be rid of such things in my life now. :)

Good grief, I say ukulele both ways. Depends on whom I'm speaking to. Neither is wrong.

have been told to stop being 'a wierdo'.

Booli, don't ever stop being a weirdo. Please. We like you this way.

Good grief, I say ukulele both ways. Depends on whom I'm speaking to. Neither is wrong.

LOL, well I guess when we are in Mississippi, we tell em; 'We Play Da Gee Tar'...

This reminds me, when I was in the Military and I was in Mississippi, I was chatting to a taxi driver, that I took a ride with and he asked me where I was from and I said Hawaii, and he replied back, oh I have a boy stationed in 'How R ya', and man let me tell you, it was with a THICK southern accent, I could barely make it out, and then I said, Oh Hawaii? and he replied back, yeah How R Ya LOL.. ;)

That reminds me, I'm gonna change my 'Location' to How R Ya :shaka:

Last edited:

Thanks Nickie! Don't worry, I plan to 'Stay Wierd' as it suits me. :)
:smileybounce:

...Did you know that Hawai'i is with a V sound which is the correct pronunciation, spelled as Hawai‘i and spoken as Havai‘i...

I learned that from the video for Bruddah Iz's performance of 'White Sandy Beach'...

wish I could have met him...gone too soon...he's swimming with the Great Honu now...

I learned that from the video for Bruddah Iz's performance of 'White Sandy Beach'...

wish I could have met him...gone too soon...he's swimming with the Great Honu now...

Yeah the words are I guess you could say a bit dragged out and chopped, all the islands are the same....

I'm not sure how closely related, if at all, but to me, the Hawaiian vowels sound closer to Japanese vowels.

In my own experience, in the Mainland USA, if you pronounce it as oo-koo-lay-lee, most people will not know what you are talking about unless they also play the instrument, and everyone else will think you are a pretentious tard.

Unfortunately, very few people understand or care for the heritage of the instrument, beyond us crazies here on UU and in the state of Hawaii.

Thus, there is this discrepancy.

I am not from HI, nor speak the language, but appreciate the meanings of Aloha and Mahalo, and use them when talking with other ukulele players, but outside of that, I will get funny looks and have been told to stop being 'a wierdo'.

So there is a time and place, but you will be greatly disappointed if you want to impose the proper Hawaiian pronunciation upon the masses, as most of them will just not listen, either due to apathy or malicious ignorance.

I grew up with lots of Italian folks around me, who's grandparents came from Italy via Ellis Island, and even though the folks my age, never spoke a lick of conversational Italian, said things like 'pasta fazool' for 'pasta fagiole' and 'mutza-rell' for mozzarella, and 'rigg-ohtt' for ricotta. I dunno if it was a cultural thing, but without them having any exposure to actual conversational spoken Italian and never having visited Italy, it seemed awfully pretentious to me, especially when they 'corrected' my pronunciation and I was considered the idiot for not knowing how to speak Italian. Think of that horrible MTV show 'Jersey Shore' but 10x worse.

I am glad to be rid of such things in my life now. :)

pretentious tard LOL, that's funny....

Oh sorry if everyone was getting the idea of like me whipping everyone into submission, imposing the Law of Hawaii around here. LOL

NO, look I'm just chatting/typing away, don't take anything I'm saying serious, all I'm saying is, it's good we share the truth with others is all, then do with the truth you want, it's your choice.

But one thing I do know, just like any culture with their pride and heritage, don't tell them they do or say things the wrong way, especially when they have created something like this.

So is the word Ukulele Hawaiian? Yes

Now do whatever you want with it, no problem, I'm smiling too by the way, just in case anyone forgot about what I just said about me being serious.

Now, don't tell the Hawaiians their word is wrong and it's pronounced You Ku lay lay when it's not, make sense now.

HEY I'm only trying to spread the OO-koo-leh-leh love and truth, now is that such a bad thing? :shaka:

Ok hope that clears the air now.....

ALOHA

Last edited:
...pretentious tard LOL, that's funny...

Thanks!

I have been known to 'tard it up' on occasion (not online tho), even if only to annoy the others around me (in person).

I'm sure that Karma is going to have something to say about that when the time comes.

:)

Well I'm very Happy, and you can't have a LOL post without LOL Cats;

6968692e5e778fe4c462fd9c49fa5512--tenor-ukulele-guitar.jpg

Here's some info on lolcat in case some of you didn't know about these;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolcat

Here's some history on it, for those that like to read;

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-history-of-i-can-has-cheezburger/

Last edited:
I agree that it's good to be wary of trampling on a culture so preserving the language is a good thing. On the other hand I say Paris, not "paree" - is this me disrespecting French culture or is it that Paris is pronounced differently in different languages?

Last edited:
I would argue the point that the ukulele has a long tradition of being a Hawaiian instrument. There is a real good book on the history of the ukulele put out by the University of Hawaii. It is very interesting to see where the tradition actually came from.

https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Hist...1513606556&sr=8-1&keywords=history+of+ukulele

Anyway, the acoustic guitar supposedly originated in Spain, but I never hear people referring to it with a Spanish pronunciation. At least here in the States I don't. I guess they do in Puerto Rico. That said, the Spanish pronunciation of ukulele is the same as the Hawaiian pronunciation. This can go on forever, can't it? I just call mine a youk.

Last edited:
“You say tomato. I say tomato. Let’s call the whole thing off.” Old popular song.

“Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.” Sigmund Freud

Sometimes words can be very interesting and as much fun as an Ooo coo lay lee in a Henda. :eek:ld:

For what it's worth I believe there's a place for everything and everything should be in it's place. And so when I play "tin pan alley" or pop tunes I use my you-kulele. My oo-kulele come out when the material is traditional Hawaiian.

That said, I also admit that what works for me isn't what I expect anyone else to adhere too. Do (and say) it anyway that's comfortable. (It's supposed to be fun)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom