What was the most favorite ukulele you ever owned?

Rakelele

Reaction score
With the year coming to an end, I thought it was a good time to look back, and I came up wondering: out of all the ukes you've owned and played over the years, which one was your absolute favorite, and why? Do you still have it, or regret having it sold somewhere along the line? If you have to Name just one, which one would it be?

Mine is my modified "Ziggy" baritone from Jay Lichty. It has such a deep, rich tone, it blows any other instrument out of the water, including all the big guitars I have come across. It's also the most easy one to play. It has low action, a slightly wider fretboard, and a 9" radius that makes it really comfortable.

Rainer, what a great idea for a thread. You "Ziggy" sounds (pun intended) like something really special.

My all time favorite is my LfdM baritone, bearclaw spruce and bocote. I was lucky to work with Luis in designing the headstock and picking out the woods and details. It plays effortlessly and has a tone I never get tried of and I love to jjst look at it. I don't play it as much as my tenors but when I do I am always in awe of the sound it produces.

All time favourite of my two years of uke playing would have to be my Kala KA-SLNG - I spent most of my time learning on that uke. :)

Got lots of better ukes now, but still have an affection towards the little fella, it was my fourth purchase, others of that period have been given away, but this one will stay with me. :cool:

Mine used to be my very versatile aNuenue Papa CE.
Then I fell in love with my o so sweet Ohana Sk-28 Nunes style Soprano.
But after finding a Ken Timms 17 fret Style 0 this summer I simply cannot imagine ever finding a better sounding ukulele.

Magic Fluke m11 concert is still my favorite so far.
We did get a very sweet sounding Favilla soprano not long ago, but I can't get it way from the Mrs.

Asking to pick one is akin to, “Which of your children do you love the most?” I cannot pick just one. Sorry to be a party pooper!

Last edited:
I have to have three picks. Is that cheating?
My Kala concert with a long neck is the easiest one to play, cause I set it up Lo G, filed down the neck, and put a homemade armrest on it.
My Cocobolo concert is the most fun to play and show off. Everybody wants it. I even slept with it when it was new, so they wouldn't sneak in and take it.
My wife's Tiny Tenor has the nicest tone, and I love to noodle around on it, and show it off because of it's unique shape. Kinda like a boat paddle I guess.
Sorry I can't pick a #1 fave for everything.....

My ohana sopranissimo is my favorite uke.

Ooh...tough to choose just one. I don't think I can do it. The best sounding has got to be the Kinnard. Lightest and best feeling is Mya-Moe. Best looking is Pohaku. Best playability is Asturias.

Favorite for playing is the Kala tenor cutaway solid cedar top acacia koa body paduck binding, favorite looking is my custom Bruce Wei solid spalted mango top and headplate, solid curly mango body, spalted mango binding.

Kala cedar mine.jpg

Spalted done montage.jpg

Last edited:
Selmer Macaferri Tenor by Beau Hannam. I love the sound of this Tenor scale uke with a Baritone body. The warm rich sound of the Ziricote and figured redwood is amazing and matched by the gorgeous build by Beau and parrot inlay by Jimmi Wingert. Follow my threads to find some pics.

KoAloha Opio soprano in sapele. Living Waters strings make it great to both strum and pick. I love the shape of the neck and placement of the tuners gives me a bit more room to fret near the nut.

Up until last month it was my Pono Koa tenor, but now it is no contest, my all-time favorite ukulele I own is my Compass Rose 5-string tenor.
Redwood top, cocobolo back and sides.
It feels like it was made just for me.

My homemade 'lunchbox' resophonic uke is my
favourite. I got the cone and cover from a friend
who had changed them over in his reso, and had
the 'lunchbox' anyway.It was never actually made
as a lunch box, but it was about the same size, and
it fitted the concert scale of a neck I had knocking
about!
As loud as loud if I choose,or as gentle as a lamb if
that suits the mood or feel of the piece I am playing!

Top Bottom