What was the most favorite ukulele you ever owned?

I'm like the earlier poster who said that picking your favorite uke is a lot like trying to pick your favorite child. My Kala spalted flame maple spruce top has the prettiest wood and is my brightest sounding uke. My Ohana sinker wood has the best story and is a handsome looking uke. My starter Lanikai has apparently chiseled a spot in my heart because I've entertained the idea of selling it a few times but I can't seem to part with it. I can't really explain why but it kind of has the best feel of the three. I still love playing it.

I disagree about the child analogy, maybe if you only have two children. But I dont know anyone that has 7 children or 7 ukes and doesn't like one a wee bit better than the others. I actually don't know anyone with 7 children.......but lots of people here have 7 ukes or more.

So pick one, you won't hurt the other ukes feelings......they can't hear you:p

I have more ukes (3 and done) than I do kids (2 and done) so the analogy still works for me. I love all 3 ukes but aside from the commonality between them, I love each of them for different reasons.

I only have (and have ever had) two ukes, but I have no preference. It all depends on if I'm wanting a more guitar-like or plucked-viola sound at the moment. Both the baritone and tenor are fine instruments.

And I've known families with 6 and 7 children, but have no idea about their family dynamics, so cannot comment there... I've got 7 cats at the moment, but no kids.

bratsche

I currently play a concert Flea and have no desire to waste time with UAS nor look for anything else.

I only need a single ukulele.

The Flea is absolutely perfect "for me".

If something were to happen to it (lost/stolen/damaged), I would replace it with an identical model from Magic Fluke Company.

Right on Joe King! Lol. A person that knows what they like!

For me, I kind of see this as "If you had to give them all away and keep only one, which would it be?"

It’s my Kamaka gold label pineapple.

Perfect sound, playability and beauty from a family dedicated to ukulele for over 100 years.

I'm not 100% sure it was my absolute favorite, but this is the one I regret selling the most:

Koaloha Soprano.
This was back when you could buy one from Elderly Instruments for about $299, and it included a chipboard case with orange lining. It had the really thin saddle that I think was made of ebony, and I believe it had an ebony nut too.
It was a beautiful little work of art. I could hardly believe how light and responsive it was. It had such a great sound. Worth strings came out and I put some clear ones on it and loved it even more. I remember exchanging e-mails back and forth with Paul and thought it was really cool that one of the main guys in the company was so accessible. I wasn't used to that.
I had no idea back then that ukulele was going to get so popular and I wasn't thinking about how much Koaloha would grow and increase their prices (understandable). I think I was switching back to only guitar and that's why I let it go. Bad move on my part.
The current cost is more than I feel I could pay for another personally....but I am not saying they are overpriced.

I recently purchased a KoAloha OPIO long neck concert acacia, (yes, they are expensive, but mine was a little cheaper than normal), It's a lovely uke, & I think it will become a favourite, but I'm still loving my Ohana CK35L & SK30L too. :cool:

As of right now I would say my 1k, not that I have a lot to choose from. It's-uh, very lively. Chosen because of sound, action, feel, playability, stays in tune forever, craftsmanship, weight and the smell:D
It's the one I think about when I'm at work. I must say nitro finish is a must for me.
2ms2d7a.jpg

Last edited:
So far, it is my Kanile'a Custom Super Tenor, with the Kanile's KPE Tenor running second.

The Tiny Tenor deserves an honorable mention as well.

My absolute favorite is my Moore Bettah koa tenor, built in 2015 with the slightly larger body.
Its construction, playability, and tone are unmatched. And inspiring.

Edit: This is my post #500. Yippee!

My Kanilea K-1 C-SF from 2011 outcompetes all my other ukes, including my Kanilea tenor and my Imua concert.
I'll never part with that one.
02B09B6F-D327-47DC-A301-06ECC809C6E8.jpg

Top Bottom