Salvation for nail-challenged fingerpickers and charango players

Wombat3

Reaction score
Charango enthusiast here, unable to grow an index fingernail that lasts. Have tried every solution I've come across, from various fingerpicks to nail-strengthening solution and glue-on nails. They either didn't work for me or eventually caused problems with my own nails.

Some recent googling turned me on to a new one: "The Ultimate Fingerpick." I ordered a couple of each size (medium and large) and found that the medium one fits my index finger best ... without slipping off and without cutting off the circulation ... if I slit the part that holds it on, as the instructions suggest. And although they recommend filing the business end like you would your own nail, so far I haven't bothered.

This thing picks and sounds just like a nail. I'm very happily surprised by how well it performs.

In my case, the large size was more comfortable, without any tweaking, but would work loose after a couple minutes. (Your mileage will vary, depending on finger size.)

What it is: a rubber sheath that fits over the last joint (or so) of your finger. It has a synthetic nail attached. You can use it as is. Or you can file and sand the nail to your liking or (carefully!) slit the sheath. Get a couple of both sizes to figure out which one works for you (smallest quantity sold is two picks of one size in a pack). Then order more if you like them. I've only had mine a couple days, but they look well-made and I expect they will last.

I have no financial interest, etc. Just a very happy first-time user.

They also have a thumb pick and are working on more sizes of fingerpick.

ultimatefingerpick.com or just google The Ultimate Fingerpick.

Top Bottom