Question about fretboard - should I buy it?

davemmevad

Reaction score
Hi All,
Longtime guitar player, new to uke, like to play fingerstyle. I was looking at a Ko aloha concert that played like a dream - I can't get it out of my head - great great sounding and playing instrument.

Problem is, when I sighted down the fingerboard there was a little bit of a hump right where the neck joins the body. Totally straight on either side of that, it just looks like it turns a corner there (or someone over sanded the bit that is attached to the body) On a classical guitar I'd make myself walk away, but I don't know if that is such an issue on an Uke (heck it may even be normal), though granted they have quite a bit of construction in common.

Am hopin someone with more knowledge about Ukes can chime in and help me out here.

Thanks
David

If something bothers you now, it will only get worse when you stare at it everyday. There may have been in imperfection in the wood that required additional sanding to remove. Without a picture, this is a guess. If something bothers you, just wait until the perfect uke find you.

Last edited:
Does the perceived fault affect the playing of the instrument?

If not, you could try pointing out the problem to the vendor and try for a bit of discount, but only if you can continue to get full warranty.

Otherwise, if it worries you now the worries are likely to get worse ... walk away.

Good luck :music:

Not sure what you are seeing, so I took a look at my OPIO long neck concert, & the only thing I can see that may be what you are seeing, is the fact that the heel is 'waisted', if that is it, then I think it is just part of their look.

ahoy

payed like a dream,
great great sound and playing

if the price is right, buy it

only reason could afford a KoAloha uke
because of defects that lowered the price
cracked slightly sunk in top
can't see defects when playing

sounds wonderful

I checked my KoAloha concert; the fretboard is absolutely level for its entire length. No "hump" where it meets the body.

Nah the instrument is buggered. Have them send it to me and I'll see that it's properly disposed of, and I won't even make them pay the shipping :biglaugh:

Just saying that I built a cigarbox ukulele myself, and I installed the neck to the body, and the fretboard to the neck. That is the extent of my experience, but from that I see no reason that there should be a hump in the fretboard. The fretboard is a thick enough piece of hardwood that it is not really flexible, especially toward each end, so just my thinking is that there would have to be some bit of pressure to push it up right there. My thought on it is that there are probably plenty of KoAloha ukuleles out there without a hump in the fretboard.

Last edited:
Koalohas are great- if there is no problem playing and sounds good I would consider especially if you can get a discount. Another thing to consider is Koaloha's "better than weather warranty"- it follows the uke and not just the original owner- I know by experience.

Top Bottom