Keep or send back?

Brendan688

Reaction score
New to the Ukes, I recently ordered a Cordoba 24 tenor. Based on a lot of recommendations here, I went with a company that does the set ups prior to shipping. And was highly recommended here.
If you aren’t familiar with the Cordoba 24 series, the back is spalted maple, so each one is unique. I’ve seen some real beauts and some duds.
Before ordering, I asked if it was possible to get some pics of different ones to decide. They were extremely accommodating and said they would. When I ordered it, I emailed them again with the order number and they assured me they would send some pics, probably after the holidays. I didn’t get an email with the pics or shipping, but it was on my porch when I came home.
The back is ok. Nothing great. Not terrible. I didn’t play it more than a couple strums but sounds great. (Coming from a really bad one, it’s not a big surprise!)
Debating if I should request to return this, or keep it. I’ve been looking forward to getting it, but honestly a bit disappointed with the looks of the back. My wife keeps saying that you never see the back anyway so who cares. I see her point.

If it is the company that I think you are talking about, I would contact the company and let them know. The 24, at $199, doesn’t make a lot of money for the company—particularly when setup is involved.

If you were promised pictures and that didn’t happen—maybe their other 24s look the same or worse, and they sent you their best. I don’t know.

Let them know. Give them the chance to make it right. $199 isn’t a lot for a ukulele...but it is real money and you want to be satisfied with your purchase.

06C7101D-3716-44F3-B040-C80354FF0D2B.jpg

332C7DB7-1FA0-4EC6-A658-EBC9333ADEAB.jpg

I will have to admit, it is growing on me a bit. It’s not bad, just not the wow I was hoping for. I did email them, no response yet, but it was only a short time ago and early. Hopefully the pics work.

I also noticed the small issue with the binding, or is that called the purfling? I’m more of a guitar guy and not too technical with this stuff!

It’s not a lot of money, I have a custom guitar that cost me 7k (and three years on a wait list!)

Sounds great. Not a lot of money. HOWEVER, you aren't satisfied. If you are like me, it will bug you.

To me, $199 is a lot of money. Also, they did not do what they said they would do. It is for them to make it right. Don't settle for something that you are disappointed in.

Would you have any concerns with the second pic, the missing purfling? Or would that just be cosmetic? It’s about an inch long, I’m a bit surprised they didn’t see that on inspection.

View attachment 105556

View attachment 105557

I will have to admit, it is growing on me a bit. It’s not bad, just not the wow I was hoping for. I did email them, no response yet, but it was only a short time ago and early. Hopefully the pics work.

I also noticed the small issue with the binding, or is that called the purfling? I’m more of a guitar guy and not too technical with this stuff!

It’s not a lot of money, I have a custom guitar that cost me 7k (and three years on a wait list!)

if i were you and you do not like the uke return it..and order a custom uke you can spend 7K on one also....:) pick the wood,binding etc....why keep the uke if you don't like it

Hmm, that's a tough one. It sounds like they were trying to go the extra mile by getting the uke out before Christmas but cut a couple corners in the process. If you like the sound and feel, I'd say keep it, but nobody would fault you for returning either.

The seller should have picked up the defective purfling as part of their pre-delivery check. This defect would make the instrument a "second". I would contact the seller even if you do decide to keep the instrument, just to let them know that this one had slipped through their quality control check.

I think the back is beautiful.

But the missing purling would bug me - of course, I can be bought. If the company was to give me a partial refund or some sort of free uke accessory, I would forgo sending it back for a perfect one.

Thanks all for the advise. I did call and they requested a pic which I sent. They were very nice about it. But still waiting to hear what they say.
The back has grown on me. I think I would keep it but the purfling does concern me a bit. I think it’s just cosmetic, I can’t imagine that has much to do with the integrity. But I think it would definitely affect resale, if I ever decide to let it go.
I’ll just have to wait to see what, if anything, they offer. It’s not the end of the world by any means, but it should have been caught at the factory and at the shop.

Having worked in a furniture shop many decades ago, I'm really handy with brushes. I'd be tempted to have a go at fixing the visual defect with some touch up paint.
Enjoy the uke, and remember, cosmetics are less important than how a uke feels and sounds. I do like the looks of the wood in this one.

But the missing purling would bug me - of course, I can be bought. If the company was to give me a partial refund or some sort of free uke accessory, I would forgo sending it back for a perfect one.

This is exactly how I feel.

My thoughts exactly

What I have found over MANY ukes bought and sold is sound and playability thrumps cosmetics everyday of the week. I have had ukes with defects that I loved the sound of and kept them. I have sold off gorgeous ones that were perfect in every way shape and form but the sound or playability weren't there. The more you play an instrument the less you look at it!!!

Hi, Brendan688!

Many Internet dealers have free set up service but some (or many) of them do not set up. One of my friends uke had no set up by a Internet dealer. We can not see if they had set up or not, because we don't have comparison. And there are many ukuleles which have already good set ups in factories. My friend compared his famous FS-5 in local shop and he found it no set up at all. Factory set up was good enough. In real shops has no such free set up service at all. It cost about $40 in local shops. Hence we have to be very careful about such Internet shops. Internet shopping is not always easy and fast. We sometimes have to take a time to return and get enough service. Spalted maple should have more clear lines (see the 2nd figure). Defect of perfling is bad too.

I would return it.

Last edited:
Actually, Mim sets all of her ukes up and it is free. She has great prices, too.

Thanks all. The back grew on me and I liked the feel and sound. The company was great to deal with and offered to either exchange it (they would cover shipping both ways) or take 15% off. I like the uke so I took the 15.

Last edited:
Top Bottom