Longneck concert bridge

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I saw a longneck concert uke which has a slot bridge, like a vintage Martin soprano. Most tenor scale instruments I 've seen have either tie-bar bridges, or bridge pin styles. With the higher tension on tenor ukes, are slot style bridges not advisable, and more likely to experience slot blowout under the higher tenor string tension? Looks like this one might have that issue on the G string slot. Seems like you can see the whole knot in there.

Bridge.JPG

Last edited:
The only uke I think suitable for a slotted bridge is the soprano because it has the lowest string tension.

(Personally, I don't like them & will always choose a tie bridge out of preference.)

This happens on any size ukulele. (I have a soprano that had it worse.) It's not the string tension. This kind of damage comes from not being careful when unstringing the instrument.

I've seen and had ones that used a bead in the blown out slot. My preferred fix is a bridge replacement, a simple and effective one is to drill a hole the same size as the string straight down at the slot, converting to a through the bridge system. This is my choice for new ukuleles as well.

A slot bridge on a tenor isn't that uncommon. I have a Wise tenor that has a slot bridge. My brothers Maton tenor has a slot bridge.

Collings tenors have a slotted bridge. So did Kinnard for years but they changed to string through. Both instruments are very high quality and well regarded.

Top Bottom