Season 306 "Blue will find us, and the sun"

SOTU 306 THEME SONG: Birds And The Bees - covered by d & edanner

Here is our attempt at this week's Theme Song, "Birds And The Bees." We are away from home this week - so no cajon, harmonica, or 2nd ukulele. Just some nice harmonies from Evelyn to soften my scratchy, old voice! :music:

some more comments from this morning. thank you all for the new songs.
we will hopefully get up to date by tonight.
off to the market now to buy cheap clothes and nectarines and cactuses and stuff. :)

OnlyUkeThatMatters "Here" Pavement
This was our favourite song from Slanted and Enchanted Ralf. What a treat this is. So gentle, your voice and rhythm playing, so spot on, such a faithful, beautiful version of this song. Everything you do is pretty magical man. This no exception. Our peace and love to you and the family. j&j

UkeintheHeartofTexas "Yours For Life" Bread
Oh Alan. So beautiful, so thoughtful of you to sing this one for us and for the week. Love the lyrics, it moved us deeply. Both of us had chicken skin at different parts of the song. Thank you. j&j

Recovering Bassist "Old Showboat" Stonewall Jackson
Wow!!! Trent you are the best man. We smiled so much through this our cheeks were aching by the end. Listening to you is like taking good drugs. So darn awesome. Yeah! j&j

Rick Henderson "I'll Follow The Sun" The Beatles
Perfect choice for the week, brother. We love the song and that baritone uke sounds super. Looking forward to more music from you with it as you get more familiar with the instrument. We can both relate to the issues of not being able to properly translate some songs in the smaller scales, those deeper notes and different key open up so many more possibilities don't they. eh, good to see Freddy in control of things from the peanut gallery too :) j&j

Turtledrum "I've Just Seen A Face" The Beatles
Gentle, soulful, sad and heartfelt, Linda. We can feel the sadness in your voice. Thank you for playing for us this week. Hopefully the fire is cleansing and new life comes from the ashes for you, your family, all of us this coming year. love from us both xoxo j&j

Joko MacKenna "Let It Be" The Beatles
We wish we were there with you brother. We love this clip so much, all your clips. Always so in the moment, you are THE bringer of joy. Glad we sent you over some nice weather from Tassie too. :) Gorgeous place, gorgeous song. Love j&j

Reconciled the past and offers hope for the future “There is Hope For You”- William Elliot Whitmore. I love the songs this guy writes

SOTU 306 - REMEMBER WHEN - baritone ukulele cover by ddanner

No personal back story here, but the lyrics are great enough that a lot of us can identify with the memories they recall. Reconciliation is definitely a major theme to "Remember When."

Brian wrote this song for us earlier in the week.
We love you mate.

The Martins "Put One Foot In Front Of The Other"
Fantastic song Benji. Lots of fun mixed with some good ol truth. :) We love the way you did this! j&j

Rustyy "Wild World" Cat Stevens
What a beautiful song this is and you delivered on it brother. We love your vocal here Rusty and that ukulele sounds so clean and sweet. Lovely version mate. j&j

BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke "Life's An Elevator" Marc Bolan
Oh yeah. Fab Lynda. Super version of this song. The world is rocking on and life is much better if you can sit down with a cat on your head haha! We hope the elevator you're on keeps going up next year. love j&j

Pete d'Hobart "Love Is All Around" Reg Presley
Wow Pete. That voice of yours is incredible. Loved the way you gave this song space to breath. Beautiful. And how bad we would love to strum that Scott Wise soprano one day! It's a stunner and sounds as good as it looks. Our best to you for the coming year. Hope it's filled with good things and great music. j&j

Pete d'Hobart "They Don't Know" Kirsty MacColl
Fantastic choice of song, Pete. We both feel the truth of this one deeply. Excellent version mate. j&j

Pete d'Hobart "Chasing Cars" Snow Patrol
Gorgeous, Pete. The richness of your voice is truly something. The garden bursting into life. Yes. :) j&j

Pete d'Hobart "The Birds And The Bees"
If ever there was a guy born to do Deano, it was you mate! j&j

tinafish "Everybody's Got Somebody But Me' Hunter Hayes
2 hats off. 2 jaws on the floor here. you guys are amazing. thanks Tina, hope 2018 is full of the things you hope for. j&j

kolibri uker "Sellel ool" Heini Vaikmaa/Kalle Muuli
Spare and absolutely lovely, Ylle. The melody is so hopeful and sweet. Your playing is delicate and the video is very beautiful. Best wishes and friendship from us as a new year begins. j&j

redpaul101 "If I Should Fall Behind" Bruce Springsteen
Thank you Paul. We will never get tired of listening to you sing and play. You still have one of the most original voices and styles we've ever heard and that cuts to the quick every time. Such a raw and emotional and brilliant version of a song we both love. Our love to you and warmest friendship and good wishes for what lies ahead for you in the coming year, brother. xoxo j&j

Dennis Danner "Let It Be A Dance" Ric Masten
learn to follow, learn to lead. yes. thank you Dennis, so many wonderful lines in this song. so appropriate for the week. we'd never heard this before but we've fallen in love with it after hearing your beautiful performance. best wishes from us to you and your family for the coming year. j&j

Ukuleledaddy "Song Of Good Hope" Glen Hansard
aaargh Sean. We love you man. We were transfixed by your version of this. So tender and sweet, your voice. One of our favourite videos of yours. Hope you can feel four arms around you now. :) All our love to you and your family for beautiful things ahead in the coming year. xoxo j&j

wee ginga yin "Just Like Fred Astaire" James
MAGICAL!!! j&j

pabrizzer "Old Rugged Cross" traditional/Brad Paisley
Wow Brian. That was something to hear. Argh, those couple of hiccups near the end took nothing away from the beauty of the melody. Actually, to us, it's the hiccups that give character and truth to a performance sometimes. This time too. So real, so lovely. Thank you mate. j&j

UkeintheHeartofTexas "My World Is Beginning Today"
Beautiful Alan. You make singing look so effortless, feel like such a joy, like something that can and should only come from the heart. Wonderful, wonderful. Thank you brother. j&j

I try not to get political on here, but if you want the story for this song, that's where it sits.
This is a song that Pat Benatar wrote for The Women's March here in The States earlier in the year. Without getting too deep into the politics of the whole thing I'll just say that last year's election was devastating for us. When The Women's March came around my daughters, nine and ten years old at the time, desperately wanted to be a part of it. They even made their own signs for the event. When the day of the march came I stood along the waterfront in downtown Portland for hours in the freezing, pouring rain with my wife and two daughters surrounded by thousands of other people. It brings me to tears just thinking about it again. Why do I bring this all up? Because at a very dark time in my life this gave me some hope. I had never been a part of such a huge gathering of purpose and love. And to see your children stand up for what they believe and instill in them the idea that they can help make a change just made my heart burst.
Never go back. Only go forward.
Happy New Year folks.
I did this in one take so there's that. But it's the song that matters, right?

Dennis and Evelyn Danner "The Birds and the Bees"
Dennis and Evelyn, this is utterly gorgeous! Such beautiful harmonies and sweet playing. We were going to try recording this today but it seems a bit redundant after hearing this take. Best to you both. j&j

The Cloverdale Kid "my little sparrow" William Elliot Whitmore
eh mate, you Whitted up the season!!!! Brilliant song, perfect choice from your musical encyclopaedia. Love it Dave. and get better. xoxo pancho & joojoo

Dennis Danner "Remember When"
You and Evelyn have brought nothing but gold this week, Dennis. Beautifully played mate, felt it from your heart. We remember when 30 seemed so old too...seemed less a stepping stone than a foreboding of a tombstone. :p Love the last verse especially. j&j

Jazzbanjorex "The Birds and the Bees"
Cranked it Rex. Awesome version mate! Love. :) j&j

UkeintheHeartofTexas "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Your Grievances" Daniel Johnston
we love that people are bringing some DT this week. You did a great job with this one Alan. He's such an interesting writer, fascinating, edgy sorta character. We first got word of him through Kurt Cobain, and more familiar through an amazing doco called "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" Well worth checking out if you have the time and inclination. j&j

pabrizzer "True Love Will Find You In The End" Daniel Johnston
ah man. you SMASHED this into a million pieces. think we like it even more than the original. j&j

pabrizzer "Strong Foundations"
Killer song, Brian. So infectious and so true. We couldn't help playing along with you. Jon has written a couple of songs in the past based on this passage too. We love this...and you know what that means, right hehe j&j

Pabrizzer's "Old Rugged Cross" made me want to do a gospel song, too, and I think this one fits. I have a lot of memories associated with this song. I was once at a place where we were doing plain old a capella singing, and I knew I was going to be called on to lead a song. The old guy in charge did call me up. He had known me since the day I was born, so he spent about 10 minutes telling embarrassing stories about me from when I was a little kid, while I stood up there beside him, squirming. I didn't have a pitch pipe on me at the time, so when he was finished, I asked for someone in the audience to blow me a D flat. I heard at least three different notes coming at me, LOL. I asked for another try and this time heard only one note, so I said, "Okay, we'll go with that one."

I just did this version in C, though.

Wanted to give the theme song a go. Still haven't sorted how to get better audio quality when I record in iMovie, but I figured the theme song should be a single take. . . Cheers!

All That We Have is Now & it's -4 F and I hate to complain but could we go inside ...

Jesse Winchester's "All That We Have Is Now" ...
I see it as looking at a lifetime relationship, and sort of saying I wish we could have another whole life together, or "I'd do it all over with you."

Strumming to keep warm.
Dishwasher sound in background is special effect. ;)

Top Bottom