UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Howdy friends,

as Christmas day approaches and turns into a new year,
for many of us this week is a challenging time of reflection
as much as it is, for others, a time of optimism as we look ahead
to what the future might have in store.

this week we would like you to play songs that either offer a sense of reconciliation with the past and/or hope for the future. we realise
that song choices will be very personal with such a theme and so, if there is a back story to your song choice(s) and you feel able to share them we would be grateful.

there is no song limit. usual "rules" apply re start and finishing times and we would like only songs newly recorded to be posted. we will
be offering a few Two Little Woodpeckers cds of some of our original songs to our favourite entries.

after a little Deano session the other day, and because the world needs more cheese, we decided on a theme song for this week. we'll choose our favourite interpretations of this lovely song for some CDs too.

wishing everyone peace and love for this week and the coming year.

j&j

BLUE WILL FIND US, AND THE SUN

Last edited:
I'm pissin myself laughing ! Huge Dean Martin fan and always watched his show, usually with my grandfather but forgot all about that song. Haven't done a Season in a long time...guess it's time!
Cheers and Beers!
Count me in!

SO
MANY
SONGS!!!!
What is the current status of the poi and the rooster...because I am ready, and totally done with Christmas.

And after playing so many Christmas songs (don’t get me wrong- much love Randy, and thanks for hosting the season and making have fun right now), it is time for catharsis. I am not sure I care what the status of the poi is. I need to play a song and it is 1 am in the Dale...so I am going to play it. Not like anyone will watch the damn thing anyway.
I have long thought Christmas exposed a very few to good in the world, and most to the worst of our human condition...and that will weigh heavily on me for the next week. My present is to play a song that is likely too early.
So I play songs.
Probably lots of them.
Get Better by Mister Frank Turner

Last edited:
It's from the poem "Forwarded" by John Ashbery.

It’s coming on six o’clock
again.
The sun rehearses an elaborate little speech, strictly
pro forma—no, wait—
it’s saying something, like
Be glad it’s over.
We waited for you.
I loved you,
and these were the consequences: bright nights, lit sea,
buttered roofs, dandelion breath. The dream of seeing it all.
Next year let’s live in harm’s way, under the big top. Incongruous, blue will find us, and the sun.
Like the growl of a friendly dog it backs up, shivers itself
out of here . . .
“Never heard . . . anymore.”

is the season title from a song?
I googled it and it just brought me to this season.....

Here is a song from the new U2 album that I chose to include in our band repertoire because it's a catchy tune. But the lyrics are about refugees going into the water to try and get to a safer place on a day when it's not safe to go into the water. So there is a really big contrast there. I hope that getting into unsafe waters to get safe will not be needed anymore in the future. So in a way I'm hoping this will become a retrospective song.

I hope I'll get time to post this season. I promise I'll make a special effort for Jon... But in case I don't (family commitments and lack of internet over Xmas) here is a song I recorded for a past season that would fit the "reconciliation" theme perfectly. It is about meeting up, years later, with a woman who had dumped me and coming to terms with my own sense of responsibility for the split.

A forward looking number, played on a uke which came to me via Jon Duncan himself...:)

Here's a song of optimism. And a little story.

We had this song playing at our wedding, as we were signing the register, but my wife had no idea.

We'd had it decided for months that we were going to have "You've Got A Friend in Me" playing while we were signing it, as a song with great nostalgic memory for both of us. We had it on a Disney compilation ready to take down to the registry office, perfect.

Wedding day comes and I have a million and one things I need to take into town to get things ready while my bride was beautifying herself. Get off the ferry from Gosport into Portsmouth and what do I forget? The bloody CD. No bother, I'll go to the shops quick and have a look in HMV.

Nope, it's first thing in the morning so it's shut. Due to meet my father in law and brother in law for a McDonald's breakfast and then off the reception venue to finish off the decorations. So I quickly phone my cousin who has two young girls to see if she has it. She doesn't, but asks around her friends and a copy is located. Day saved.

Fast forward about 6 hours, I've finally checked into our hotel, put my suit on, and sprinted round to the registry office, a lot of guests have arrived, then in comes my cousin. SHE'S FORGOTTEN THE CD. No time to sort out another one either. Bugger

Run up to the registrar to see if, by some miracle, they have it in their stock music. They don't. So I quickly scan the list, see this song, which I love, and which seemed fitting, and went for it.

A bit later we're signing the register and the song starts playing and I keep peaking at Louise to see if there's a reaction. There isn't one. So in the car on the way to the reception I said

"You took that well then"
"Took what Well?"
"The song in the registry office. I forgot the CD."
"Oh did you? Didn't notice"

This, ladies and gentleman, not only sums up what was a fairly shambolic but ultimately perfect wedding, but also why I married her.

Anyway, I'm rambling on here, so here's the song, where I ramble some more.

Hi, Joo and Jon! I have a stinking cold and my voice has dropped by several octaves, so I thought I would sing this week's theme song in a (very) vague approximation of Marlene Dietrich .... sorry!!!

It's from the poem "Forwarded" by John Ashbery.

It’s coming on six o’clock
again.
The sun rehearses an elaborate little speech, strictly
pro forma—no, wait—
it’s saying something, like
Be glad it’s over.
We waited for you.
I loved you,
and these were the consequences: bright nights, lit sea,
buttered roofs, dandelion breath. The dream of seeing it all.
Next year let’s live in harm’s way, under the big top. Incongruous, blue will find us, and the sun.
Like the growl of a friendly dog it backs up, shivers itself
out of here . . .
“Never heard . . . anymore.”

Good stuff! Thanks . . .

Some hope here I think and advice about perseverance .... a JJ Cale song.

Christmas Day here which has dawned overcast and breezy but we still hope to have our family beach picnic lunch.....

I said goodbye to my father last night. These last two weeks in the USA have been the first I've seen of him in five years. I was there for his 73rd birthday.
Whereas this song doesn't necessarily represent our relationship; he never ordered me to listen. He just didn't say much. I do know it's one song he and I both love and is special for us both as Father and Son.

Now, I'm slowly making my way back across the Pacific to where I live and work in Myanmar. At the moment, I'm drinking at a bar in Rarotonga, Cook Islands. I'm in the midst of a 16 hour layover in this Pacific paradise on my way to New Zealand. So from one obscure island to another (Tasmania is kinda obscure), here's my first entry this week.

As someone with past addictions and rehabs etc etc I find its unwise for me to look too much into the future or dwell too much on the past (else my brain will run at 1000 mph head on in either direction which generally causes mayhem)so my ethos is to remain firmly in the day and has been for many years now.
This song fits my ethos perfectly and it was also a Christmas Carol in a previous life so had to do it really.
I've kept it short (and horizontal) due to time mate.
Cheers for hosting this one Jon

Top Bottom