Season 306 "Blue will find us, and the sun"

View attachment 105630

S O S

Someone sing something cheerful and forward-looking at once! Our much-anticipated trip to the UK is off ... got to the Airport to find that our flight had been cancelled (owing to bad weather at London Stansted and the vagaries of Ryanair). So now, instead of an evening meal in a cosy English pub and the anticipation of a family reunion tomorrow, we have returned to a dark, cold, snowbound house and a frozen pizza (well, DID actually heat the pizza up.) This is an EMERGENCY!!!!

Here you are Val, some good news in song form. Stumbled across this Kings of Leon song tonight looking for something to share the news with, lyrically it's probably more apt for when we were having Nathan but it's a good one for this time around too in some ways (my dad's a bit miffed about the timing as he reckons it'll scupper my non-existent career)

No backstory for this one, either. It's just one of my favorite songs and I think it fits the theme. I did this one before, way back in season 155. My strumming is still just as simple as it can be, but this time I added some backing vocals in the chorus, and harmonica!

A Daniel Lanois Song that I have been listening to recently. Decided to give it a go. . . . .

I've been out of town for Christmas, so I'm way way behind. This is the first song I thought of when I read about this weeks theme. I've lived this song, many years ago I broke up and then got back together with the same girl a silly amount of times. In the same era as Elaine and Puddy breaking up and getting back together on Seinfeld, and about the same level of lacking sanity as well. This is a Jim Lauderdale song I've wanted to work up for a long time, so this finally theme finally got me to do it.

Jon seems to like when I do bluegrass, and I like doing bluegrass, so here's one. Vern Gosdin did this song originally, but Jim & Jesse did a bluegrass version I really liked, so I attempted it. I didn't have much time to work this one up, only a few takes.

This Matisyahu song has touched me. It's about survival, optimism, working through adversity, and hope for the future.

Here you are Val, some good news in song form. Stumbled across this Kings of Leon song tonight looking for something to share the news with, lyrically it's probably more apt for when we were having Nathan but it's a good one for this time around too in some ways (my dad's a bit miffed about the timing as he reckons it'll scupper my non-existent career)

The best possible news! Definitely cheering! Thanks so much, Ryan!

Last edited:
some more comments friends.
we're loving the songs you're playing this week.

Rick Henderson "We Used To Know" Jethro Tull
Thanks for the well wishes, Rick! A new song to us and a fantastic one. We won the race by taking it slow. Yes. All our best to you and your family for the coming year! j&j

UkeintheHeartofTexas "We just disagree" Dave Mason
What a beautiful song, perfect for the theme. We absolutely love it. There is so much feeling in your voice, Alan. Hope a lot of people listen to this because it deserves to be heard. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Jazzbanjorex "Traveling Shoes" Elvin Bishop
You made us "travel" from one end of the room to another as we watched your performance, and we liked it! ( wanna try out multicamera for our videos too) Fabulous playing and singing! Thank you for bringing this! j&j

Jazzbanjorex "Tishamingo Blues" Spencer Williams
Another new song to us this week and what a ripper. That voice of yours doesn't get any harder to listen to, Rex. :) Brilliant song! Fantastic delivery! j&j

weegingayin "Sit Down" James
Your music always impacts people, Rob. Your art takes us places. This was a beautiful experience in visuals and sound. j&j

ktschp "So Soll Es Blieben"
How beautiful, man. Magnificent song. You sang with such sincerity and depth of feeling. This touched us very deeply and reminded us that to be content with the now is not right, we need to keep striving for more love, more honesty because the goal is never where we are, always looking forward to better things ahead. We loved and appreciated that you sang in your native language, just can't imagine this in English after having heard your voice. Your suit made jon drool with jealousy and the two ukes made joo feel the same way. :) peace and love to you and your family for the coming year, brother. j&j

berni armstrong "Sweet Reconciliation"
What a story, the mightier for its truth. That one moment of mercy amidst the hell of carnage and dislocation. Aye brother. Peace and healing starts with one person and it hits us between the eyes - that person has to be oneself. Masterfully written Berni, so many details of the events and yet so poetic and seamless in it's lyrical and melodic flow. You're an amazing writer and performer. Thank you for writing this. j&j

and our final round of comments for tonight.
have a great day everyone.
see you tomorrow!

Tootlin Geoff "Sing John Ball" traditional
Fabulous Geoff. We loved this so much. Your voice is so distinctive among the folk on the seasons of the ukulele. You have introduced us afresh to so many songs and so much history over the years. We deeply appreciate and enjoy what you do mate. When we are ruled by the love of one another. Yes! wishing peace and good things to you and your family this coming year. j&j

Ryan Bridgett-Blake "Pretty Pimpin" Kurt Vile
powerful song Ryan. Kurt Vile is an excellent writer. you played and sang this like you understood the feeling behind every word. j&j

The Martins "I So Hate Consequences" Relient K
gee Benji. listening to you play and sing this made us both just want to hug you bigtime! Loved the way you did this, such an awesome song and full of truth. Yes brother. Thank you. hope you and Ash and the family have a loving 2018. j&j

Ryan Bridgett-Blake "Knocked Up" Kings of Leon
powerful song Ryan. Kurt Vile is an excellent writer. you played and sang this like you understood the feeling behind every word. j&j

UkeintheHeartofTexas "Wide River To Cross" Buddy & Julie Miller
We love Buddy and Julie Alan! This song is a classic and you did it proud. The harmonica was a welcome addition to your original shot at this and those vocal harmonies were sublime. Beautiful performance. j&j

BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke "Long Time Coming"
yeah baby!!!! excellent song Lynda and man we love that uke, sounds so awesome! j&j

Congrats Ryan! In a few years you’ll have enough musicians for a proper 3-piece punk outfit.

Leonard Cohen. I find this an enigmatic song and interesting lyrically, but there's a message of hope in there.

this morning's comments! we're loving the music!

Kevin Griffin "The Maker" Daniel Lanois
What a gorgeous arrangement and performance of this song Kevin. You have the most beautiful, rich, warm voice. Wow. Flawless, utterly captivating. Best to you and your family this coming year brother from us both. j&j

Recovering Bassist "As If we'd never love again" Jim Lauderdale
YESSS!!!!! Ah Trent, we love this so much. Jim Lauderdale is the bees knees and we both think you are too. Have a great 2018, looking forward to more of your music! j&j

Recovering Bassist "Dream of me" Vern Gosdin
So good and fun, Trent. We love every single thing you do. Not many people who when you listen to and watch you just feel a shared sense of joy in sharing music. You give that every time and it's so endearing and just darn fun for the listener. Oh, and uh, nice tongue work in the solos. :) More Loudon Wainwright than the man hisself! j&j

Randy McSorley "One Day" Matisyahu
Beautiful Randy. Felt the joy in this in spades. Top shelf sound and clip, the whole deal. Did you feel your soul shining? We saw it. :) love from us. j&j

pabrizzer "Come Healing" Leonard Cohen
Incredible song Brian. Inspired choice again mate. Your delivery is so authentic here, you convey the deepest and most profound of lyrics with such tenderness. We felt in your voice the longing, the sadness and the possibility for hope. Very, very beautiful. j&j

The Martins "The Good Life" Weezer
Nice Benji. We can tell how much you love this style of music, it shows in your playing, the energy you bring to these songs. Really enjoyed this brother. j&j

TootlinGeoff "Hallelujah" Leonard Cohen
Very lovely video, Geoff. Beautiful vocal. j&j

Randy McSorley "The Birds and the Bees"
Pure joy Randy!!!!! Yes!!!! Sweet work on the little melodica too. Did Deano proud brother! :) j&j

I haven't usually recognized the turning points in my life as they've happened. It's not usually clear to me until days, months, or even years later which choices and experiences have affected my life most.

This lovely Pavement song captures a particular feeling that haunts me: Any moment could be a turning point, for better or worse. For me, being ready for the next turning point demands both an honest reconciliation with the past and a genuine hope for a better future.

Top Bottom