Season 306 "Blue will find us, and the sun"

I guess I could shoehorn this song into the theme by saying it's a song about someone looking forward to the future, but mostly it's just a favorite old song of mine that I wanted to do for our hosts.

Here's a cute Stonewall Jackson song I've always liked. Did this in one take. It's a novelty song, but there's still a lesson in it, ya never know how one event can lead to another in life. I took the sopranino challenge on this one.

Back in the day, there was a record store in Winston-Salem, N.C. Misty Mountain Rock. They sold bootleg and imported vinyl. I bought the entire Beatles catalog from Please Please Me through Rubber Soul on Parlophone (which was not sold in the U.S. We got the inferior Capitol versions.) I loved 'Beatles for Sale' and this was one of my favorite tracks. It was one of the first I learned to play (but not sing) on the uke. Now that I have a cheap but fun bari, I can play it in a scale I can sorta sing, too. The message fits the Season, so I thought I'd share it with you.

Season 306. Submission 1. "I've Just Seen a Face" Written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney and recorded by the Beatles (1965)

My apologies for being behind in my listening for Randy's season and now Jon's. My beloved dog Jax passed on Christmas Eve morning and it's been a rough go. I hope to start listening again in the morning. And though I'm a bit late, I hope everyone has been enjoying their holidays and will have a healthy and happy New Year.

Special thanks to Jon and Joo for stepping in for me this Season and for hosting and for this great theme.

Jon and Joo, I offer this one in response to the idea of reconciliation with the past..... those faces and old flames that stay with us forever.

I'm still on holiday. I'm in my sixth country in 18 days (4 of those were airport transfers), and I'm very excited to bring you this video from the Land of the Long White Cloud, New Zealand! The backdrop for this second video this week is a place called Cathedral Cove, a beautiful and hard-to-reach (yet still very crowded due to the time of the year) beach on the Coromandel Peninsula, North Island. I've had a wonderful 5 days relaxing with family (my brother-in-law is a Kiwi), playing uke and touring around my rented Kawasaki Ninja 250. Wow, some of the best roads for motorcycle riding I've ever been on.

The only downside is that there's no internet at the AirBnB we've rented, and I had to pick a song I already knew... How about the first song I ever learned?

This song is from a movie I watched as a kid called Santa Claus is Coming to Town I don’t remember much about it besides this song in which an evil wizard dude is asking a young Santa how he can change and be good. I thought it fit our theme pretty nicely.
M

Very happy that an extremely rare opportunity to record has coincided with this Double J season. I’ve brought a suite of three pop love songs that for me inspire hope and happiness. And they kind of underpin The Joining Of The Js.

I'm also dedicating with sympathy and condolence to Turtledrum whose Season it might have been but for a loss in the family..

If I sing or hear any one of these songs I feel warm inside. Sometimes wistful but always filled with assurance that love (and romance) will prevail.

This first one was a big hit for The Troggs in 1967 and then a monster hit in 1994 for Wet Wet Wet whose version was used in the film Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Last edited:
The second is a song Kirsty MacColl wrote as a teen when she needed something for a record company. If she left nothing else as her legacy it would be enough.

Not much to say about this third one. It was a hit for Snow Patrol. I just really like it.

Here’s my little take on The Birds and the Bees.

My sister and I are in the same place for the first time in forever, so we did this last night:

Congrats Joo and Jon! And Happy New Year, all Seasonistas! A song about looking back at the past year and hoping that the new year will be as beautiful as the shimmering candle light - "Sellel ööl" (That Night) by Heini Vaikmaa and Kalle Muuli. Here is an instrumental version.

If I should fall behind

No back story here, just a song about hope in an uncertain world:

Happy New Year everybody!

SOTU 306 - LET IT BE A DANCE by Ric Masten . baritone ukulele cover by ddanner

I'm struggling with trying to learn my way around, "Final Cut Pro" and "Logic Pro X" on the new MacBook, but I'm sure having fun doing so. I'd love to hear from any other Seasonistas that may be using these programs and might be willing to offer some pointers, or compare methods. :)

I hope you enjoy my cover of Ric Masten's song, "Let It Be A Dance." I believe he wrote it in 1972 or 73 or 4. Ric was a poet, musician, and ordained Unitarian Universalist minister. This is probably his most well known song, and I think it fits this week's theme well.

Just like Fred Astaire

Modern man tried to solve his problems with intellect and logic
Primitive man tries to solve his problems by dancing, and often with more success.

This song is from a movie I watched as a kid called Santa Claus is Coming to Town I don’t remember much about it besides this song in which an evil wizard dude is asking a young Santa how he can change and be good. I thought it fit our theme pretty nicely.
M

My icy heart...it's melting!

Top Bottom