Where To Play My Uke Now That Mom Is Gone...

Papa Tom

Reaction score
I got into the ukulele right around the time my Mom's health started failing and my wife and I started spending Christmas with her, alone, in Florida. She really used to enjoy singing the old songs, and having the uke around on Christmas turned her little house in FLA into a happy place for neighbors and friends to drop by for a visit.

She passed away about two years ago, and my four ukes haven't been out of their cases a whole lot since then. I used to enjoy playing for the pre-school kids in my building at work, but the teachers got a little jealous and haven't asked me back for a while.

Consequently, there isn't a lot of motivation to learn new songs or even noodle around anymore. I'd love to hear some ideas from you all about how I can continue to create happiness with this little instrument. I've been away from the music business for almost thirty years and only picked up the uke for pure fun, so I don't have much interest in honing my technique or studying theory. But who's out there these days that might want to hear some ukeing?

Well, let's see. There are nursing homes full of lonely old people who would enjoy your music. There are children in hospitals that could use a smile. What about the local community center or a kindergarten class? Who needs a smile today? Play for them! :)

Sorry to hear about your Mom's passing.

One idea could be to take one of your ukes and go visit the cemetery, and maybe try to play and sing out something to her headstone...

I know it may not be easy for you, but it might be cathartic and help you move forwards, and possibly regain your musical moments with your uke...think of your Mom...what would she ask of you?

Please dont give up, and please report back as to your progress or even just join in on some threads, as all are welcome here on UU :)

I work in a children’s hospital and we have a large and active music therapy and volunteer program. We have lots of volunteers who play guitar, piano, violin, and even a harp in different places around the hospital. The kids and their families love it. We also have a music room that is often staffed by volunteers playing piano and guitar. I bring my ukulele to work and whenever I have a break I go down and play my uke in the music room. Maybe you could volunteer at a local hospital. I’m sure the patients, families, and visitors would enjoy it.

Or a Ronald McDonald house for families with critically ill children.

Our little group plays several times a year at the local adult day centers (folks with severe physical or developmental disabilities who don't live in nursing homes). We're also starting to play for a local church with a large shut-in population that holds a monthly dinner for the caretakers/family members. Check around. As other folks have said, there are plenty of people who could use a little four-string joy!

What about joining/participating in a local jam session/ukulele club?
I have joined two groups since starting to play. I find the social aspect of group playing very fun. One of my groups is quite large (30-40) people, and one is about 10-12 people who all take turns leading a song. I have also joined my small church band (singers, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, piano) and has found it fun, challenging, and rewarding all at once.

But who's out there these days that might want to hear some ukeing?

Here in the U.K. a friend of mine plays, every week, at a Cancer Support Centre. The particular one is part of a network of drop-in centres across the United Kingdom, which aim to help anyone who has been affected by cancer. They are not intended as a replacement for conventional cancer therapy, but as a caring environment that can provide support, information and practical advice. They are located near, but are separate from, hospitals.

Years ago an other friend helped establish an old folks’ group that met weekly for an afternoon. It was a social group with entertainment and refreshments laid on by the organisers, a small charge was made to help cover costs but no more than than. She was always glad of anyone who would help with the entertainment. There’s probably an old folks’ group near you who would be pleased to here from you.

Some other friends of mine go into their local Primary School and play their instruments to the children each week. Live music shows the children that Music is made by people just like them, their teachers and their parents, it encourages them to try harder and to have a go themselves.

Last edited:
I also played for my mother in her assisted living apartment, and then in the long term care section. We really bonded with the songs from her younger days.

Since her passing, I play with a church ukulele group and joined specifically for the few times a year that we play in nursing homes.

I have gotten up the courage to play on my own once at my MIL's nursing home. I did not sing, but just played in a corner out in a commons area while my husband chatted with his mom. She was not really into it, but other people came out of their rooms to hear me play. Super scary, but worth it. Maybe you can tag along with someone visiting and play as part of the visit, rather than setting up a "performance".

Last edited:
Well, let's see. There are nursing homes full of lonely old people who would enjoy your music. There are children in hospitals that could use a smile. What about the local community center or a kindergarten class? Who needs a smile today? Play for them! :)

What about joining/participating in a local jam session/ukulele club?

All good ideas! :shaka:

These are all great suggestions and they are all in line with the experience that you had with your mother. But if I might suggest a different experience, try busking. Just go out somewhere that there is some foot traffic, sit down, put out a container for tips, get your head into your own little world, and play your songs. When you are done, count up your tips and walk away. It is actually very relaxing if you just do your thing and don't even think about the people passing by.

Seems like the OP has gone AWOL, maybe kidnapped by Santa's Elves or something LOL.

Holidays are a hard time for people dealing with loss. Hopefully he's out playing his ukulele in honor of his mom.

Holidays are a hard time for people dealing with loss. Hopefully he's out playing his ukulele in honor of his mom.

Yes, you are right Jan. I sincerely apologize if my comment was taken the wrong way.

I was worried that maybe we had driven him away and he has not seen the wealth of other suggestions here on this thread.

Hopefully the OP will come back and become a part of our UU community, and also find a way to love playing his uke again. :)

From The OP:

Hey! I'm still here! I've just been busy with Christmas and the traveling that went along with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to let you know, I am not wallowing in grief over my Mom's passing, and I DO pick up the uke occasionally, but only for a few minutes at a time. The instrument doesn't bring back debilitating memories or anything like that. I just don't really have many "excuses" to pick it up and play for people these days. Even my five grandchildren have reached the age where they won't sit and listen, but will keep tugging the danged thing out of my hands and pretend to play it!

There is a local ukulele club that meets once a month, but based on the videos I've seen of their jam sessions, most of the members are rank beginners. I'm no virtuoso, but having played for about ten years, I am a little more advanced than that.

I like the idea of children's hospitals and will probably look into that one to see if I can do it while I am still working 8-4 every day.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and support. Happy New Year to all!

Top Bottom