Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where To Play My Uke Now That Mom Is Gone...

Default Where To Play My Uke Now That Mom Is Gone...

I got into the ukulele right around the time my Mom's health started failing and my wife and I started spending Christmas with her, alone, in Florida. She really used to enjoy singing the old songs, and having the uke around on Christmas turned her little house in FLA into a happy place for neighbors and friends to drop by for a visit.

She passed away about two years ago, and my four ukes haven't been out of their cases a whole lot since then. I used to enjoy playing for the pre-school kids in my building at work, but the teachers got a little jealous and haven't asked me back for a while.

Consequently, there isn't a lot of motivation to learn new songs or even noodle around anymore. I'd love to hear some ideas from you all about how I can continue to create happiness with this little instrument. I've been away from the music business for almost thirty years and only picked up the uke for pure fun, so I don't have much interest in honing my technique or studying theory. But who's out there these days that might want to hear some ukeing?

Well, let's see. There are nursing homes full of lonely old people who would enjoy your music. There are children in hospitals that could use a smile. What about the local community center or a kindergarten class? Who needs a smile today? Play for them!
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

Sorry to hear about your Mom's passing.

One idea could be to take one of your ukes and go visit the cemetery, and maybe try to play and sing out something to her headstone...

I know it may not be easy for you, but it might be cathartic and help you move forwards, and possibly regain your musical moments with your uke...think of your Mom...what would she ask of you?

Please dont give up, and please report back as to your progress or even just join in on some threads, as all are welcome here on UU
    Please click here ->Just the FAQs<- to be taken to the FAQ index so you can learn about:

• Magic Fluke Company ukes
    • Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    • Home Recording and Mics
    • String Upgrades
    • iPad Microphones
    • Wolfelele Uke Kit
    • How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    • Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

I work in a children’s hospital and we have a large and active music therapy and volunteer program. We have lots of volunteers who play guitar, piano, violin, and even a harp in different places around the hospital. The kids and their families love it. We also have a music room that is often staffed by volunteers playing piano and guitar. I bring my ukulele to work and whenever I have a break I go down and play my uke in the music room. Maybe you could volunteer at a local hospital. I’m sure the patients, families, and visitors would enjoy it.

Or a Ronald McDonald house for families with critically ill children.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

Our little group plays several times a year at the local adult day centers (folks with severe physical or developmental disabilities who don't live in nursing homes). We're also starting to play for a local church with a large shut-in population that holds a monthly dinner for the caretakers/family members. Check around. As other folks have said, there are plenty of people who could use a little four-string joy!
    KoAlana KCA-010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Lanakai LU-21 baritone Kala KA-EBY-S ebony soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

You could also join in on the Seasons threads on this very website, & you wouldn't even have to leave your house.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    You could also join in on the Seasons threads on this very website, & you wouldn't even have to leave your house.
    yes - good idea Keith!

to the OP, go here to see what The Seasons are all about: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...of-the-Ukulele!

and here is where you can see past weeks' threads: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...of-the-Ukulele
    Please click here ->Just the FAQs<- to be taken to the FAQ index so you can learn about:

• Magic Fluke Company ukes
    • Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    • Home Recording and Mics
    • String Upgrades
    • iPad Microphones
    • Wolfelele Uke Kit
    • How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    • Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

What about joining/participating in a local jam session/ukulele club?
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    What about joining/participating in a local jam session/ukulele club?
    I have joined two groups since starting to play. I find the social aspect of group playing very fun. One of my groups is quite large (30-40) people, and one is about 10-12 people who all take turns leading a song. I have also joined my small church band (singers, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, piano) and has found it fun, challenging, and rewarding all at once.

Thread Information