Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where To Play My Uke Now That Mom Is Gone...

But who's out there these days that might want to hear some ukeing?

Here in the U.K. a friend of mine plays, every week, at a Cancer Support Centre. The particular one is part of a network of drop-in centres across the United Kingdom, which aim to help anyone who has been affected by cancer. They are not intended as a replacement for conventional cancer therapy, but as a caring environment that can provide support, information and practical advice. They are located near, but are separate from, hospitals.

Years ago an other friend helped establish an old folks’ group that met weekly for an afternoon. It was a social group with entertainment and refreshments laid on by the organisers, a small charge was made to help cover costs but no more than than. She was always glad of anyone who would help with the entertainment. There’s probably an old folks’ group near you who would be pleased to here from you.

Some other friends of mine go into their local Primary School and play their instruments to the children each week. Live music shows the children that Music is made by people just like them, their teachers and their parents, it encourages them to try harder and to have a go themselves.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 12-24-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Your mothers sprit
    is still there
    in your heart
    you can still play for her
    and yourself

I also played for my mother in her assisted living apartment, and then in the long term care section. We really bonded with the songs from her younger days.

Since her passing, I play with a church ukulele group and joined specifically for the few times a year that we play in nursing homes.

I have gotten up the courage to play on my own once at my MIL's nursing home. I did not sing, but just played in a corner out in a commons area while my husband chatted with his mom. She was not really into it, but other people came out of their rooms to hear me play. Super scary, but worth it. Maybe you can tag along with someone visiting and play as part of the visit, rather than setting up a "performance".
    Last edited by actadh; 12-24-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

I started playing with a few uke groups about a year and a half ago & we play 1x/week at an adult day care center & occasionally elsewhere.

My Mom passed away last Feb & the folks at the day care center reminded me of her. We finish our performances with Hawaii Aloha/Aloha Oe; playing that was really difficult the first few times after her passing. It's ok now & great to see how much they appreciate our music.

You should get back into playing again; it would be a tribute to your mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped Liver View Post
    Well, let's see. There are nursing homes full of lonely old people who would enjoy your music. There are children in hospitals that could use a smile. What about the local community center or a kindergarten class? Who needs a smile today? Play for them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    What about joining/participating in a local jam session/ukulele club?
    All good ideas!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-28 Nunes - Martins
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

These are all great suggestions and they are all in line with the experience that you had with your mother. But if I might suggest a different experience, try busking. Just go out somewhere that there is some foot traffic, sit down, put out a container for tips, get your head into your own little world, and play your songs. When you are done, count up your tips and walk away. It is actually very relaxing if you just do your thing and don't even think about the people passing by.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

Seems like the OP has gone AWOL, maybe kidnapped by Santa's Elves or something LOL.
    Just the FAQs __________Less > more.__________Serenity now, insanity later.

Holidays are a hard time for people dealing with loss. Hopefully he's out playing his ukulele in honor of his mom.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped Liver View Post
    Holidays are a hard time for people dealing with loss. Hopefully he's out playing his ukulele in honor of his mom.
    Yes, you are right Jan. I sincerely apologize if my comment was taken the wrong way.

I was worried that maybe we had driven him away and he has not seen the wealth of other suggestions here on this thread.

Hopefully the OP will come back and become a part of our UU community, and also find a way to love playing his uke again.
    Just the FAQs __________Less > more.__________Serenity now, insanity later.

I hope so, too, Booli!
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

Thread Information