Ukulele makes twanging sound

audreywichmann

Reaction score
I tuned my ukulele up and yet still when I press on any of the strings on the first fret and play them, it makes a twanging sound. This makes the F chord sound terrible yet my G and Am chords sound wonderful. Basically any chord that has to have you pressing on a string in the first fret makes the chord sound bad. Help please? Has anyone had this problem?

Welcome to Ukulele Underground, Audrey!

We need more information before we can answer.
What size ukulele? Soprano? Concert? Tenor? Baritone? U-Bass?
What tuning are you using? GCEA? DGBE?
Are you pressing the string between the frets (correct), or on the fret itself (incorrect).
Do you have experience with other fretted instruments?
Are you tuned linearly (low G to high A) or re-entrant (high G, then low C to high A).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tune+ukulele

Last edited:
Welcome to Ukulele Underground, Audrey!

We need more information before we can answer.
What size ukulele? Soprano? Concert? Tenor? Baritone? U-Bass?
What tuning are you using? GCEA? DGBE?
Are you pressing the string between the frets (correct), or on the fret itself (incorrect).
Do you have experience with other fretted instruments?
Are you tuned linearly (low G to high A) or re-entrant (high G, then low C to high A).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tune+ukulele
IMG_1803.jpg here's a pic of my uke, I really don't know what kind/size it is. I tune it it GCEA. I press between the frets when I play and I've tried many different ways of pressing to get the twanging sound to stop. This is really my first fretted instrument, but I have had it and have been playing it for around two years. I messed around with a guitar a bit but didn't devote much time to it. I believe it is tuned re-entrant but I am not sure. I hope this helps.

View attachment 105603 here's a pic of my uke, I really don't know what kind/size it is. I tune it it GCEA. I press between the frets when I play and I've tried many different ways of pressing to get the twanging sound to stop. This is really my first fretted instrument, but I have had it and have been playing it for around two years. I messed around with a guitar a bit but didn't devote much time to it. I believe it is tuned re-entrant but I am not sure. I hope this helps.

So, has it been twanging for those 2 years, or is this something new that just started?

You wrote that F doesn't sound right. What about A major? What about C7?

Is it possible you are playing an A chord when you meant to play an F chord?

Do you have a straight edge? it is possible that the neck of your ukulele twisted a bit during the time you were not playing it?

Have you checked the frets to make certain none of them popped up higher beneath the 3rd or 4th strings?

when you say twanging - could be in fact be a buzz resulting from the strings hitting frets farther down the fingerboard from where you're fretting?

Top Bottom