365ukesongs

YorkSteve

Still strummin'
UU VIP
Reaction score
Six days to go before I start my challenge for 2018. For those that didn't see this in the general Seasons chatter thread, here's what I am doing...

I am trying to raise £1500 for SolarAid, who get solar lamps out to remote parts of Africa, to replace the dangerous/expensive/poisonous kerosene lamps that many people still use.

I will be playing & videoing a different song every day for a year, wherever I happen to be, and putting the whole lot on a blog (link at the bottom of this post). It costs the charity about £4 ($5) to get each lamp out there, and 1500/365 is roughly 4, so IF (and it's a big if) I can get to £1500, it means that every time I play a song, a family gets a lamp. Simple eh?

A huge thank you to the Seasonistas who have already chipped in so generously. I was a bit staggered to find that I was 10% of the way to the target a couple of months before I was due to start. Thank you all so much.

I have just been flicking through a large pile of songsheets, which has been growing for the last few months. Some you will have heard me do before. Some, I haven't even heard myself do. And just to add to the fun, I am aiming to play them all on one uke, a plastic Maccaferri Islander.

At some point, I hope to throw one song open for collaborations, so anyone who wants to can join in. I will let you know on here when that might be, and look forward to the technical nightmare that could result!

All of this means that I might not be around on the Seasons as often as I would like, but I will be there when I can, and will keep this thread updated once in a while as things progress.

Thanks for listening!:cool:

Wonderful project, Steve! Hey, if you find you've raised the money by February, are you going to stop? (Actually, I need to PM you to find out how to pay.) More power to your, er ..... ukulele!

The UK's listed as the 6th most generous country in the world regarding giving money in Foreign Aid, 70p of every £100 made here is donated........yet very little of it goes to the poorest countries needing essential humanitarian aid like water, food and projects similar to this one which is outrageous.
The purse string holders who allocate this money should hang their heads in shame especially when you know who it goes to and what its being used for..........there's nothing more urgent than kids starving to death in the world is there?
Good on ya for making a 'real' difference to others lives Steve.

Last edited:
Wonderful project, Steve! Hey, if you find you've raised the money by February, are you going to stop? (Actually, I need to PM you to find out how to pay.) More power to your, er ..... ukulele!
Oooh no, I play all 365, even if people offer to pay me more to stop....
And as for how to pay, the page at www.365ukesongs.co.uk points you to the donations page, where you can pay by plastic or PayPal.

Steve - I'll give you a dollar for every seasons song you do as long as you don't miss any the whole year - that'd be $52. Just make one of every 8 fit the theme as well. Just saying...
And assuming a lot of 'things' last another year of course...

Steve - I'll give you a dollar for every seasons song you do as long as you don't miss any the whole year - that'd be $52. Just make one of every 8 fit the theme as well. Just saying...
And assuming a lot of 'things' last another year of course...
Well, that adds a level of complexity...let's hope every Season is something like "70's UK chart hits" or "anything with 3 chords". Other than that, I might not keep up. But thanks for the challenge.

A fabulous start to the project Steve.
Subscribed!

"Singing for Solar!"

A worthy cause indeed.

When funds allow, you can expect my donation. :)

Just had a "why didn't I think of that?" moment. I love, love, love this idea! Just sent in a donation for you. Nice to start off the new year in a positive direction!

Thanks for all your donations and messages of support. You people are the best!

Four days in, and things are already getting a bit bizarre. I have just found out that a message I sent out yesterday on Twitter, announcing the song of the day, was liked & re-tweeted by....Bianca Jagger. Yes, THE Bianca Jagger. I'm pretty sure that's a first for me.

Four days in, and things are already getting a bit bizarre. I have just found out that a message I sent out yesterday on Twitter, announcing the song of the day, was liked & re-tweeted by....Bianca Jagger. Yes, THE Bianca Jagger. I'm pretty sure that's a first for me.

WOW that's so great!

I cant say exactly why, but reading this news made me grin ear-to-ear, and feel an immense sense of pride for your project here...

Kudos to you - keep going! Who knows what the future will bring. :)

Thanks for all your donations and messages of support. You people are the best!

Great stuff indeed but did she make a DONATION?

I hope this blog goes viral.
Have a feeling this is gonna get big.
Loving it Steve, so much.
I will be contributing.

Brian put in a special request for this song. And if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it on the day the Aussies stuff us 4-0 in The Ashes.

Another Seasonista request, this time from One Man And His Uke, who asked for anything by The Rutles. He did his own version of it last week, but you can never have too many Rutles covers.

Super!!

What a great idea! So loving how the donation is so direct. You never know just where that money is going so I usually donate local. Small animal rescues and such. Plus help them by fostering if need be. One bunny just found a forever home today :)

I haven't been on much but will try to follow your page!!:eek:

Top Bottom