Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uke for a sailboat

Cool Uke for a sailboat

Hiya, I've now acquired several ukes and find I would like to keep one on my small sailboat and not have to haul back and forth. I have a couple $75ish mahogany laminates but don't think that they would stand up to the Texas heat/humidity in an enclosed cabin. So I'm thinking Kala Waterman or Ukedelic, or the Makala Dolphin. Any others that I should look at? Eddy Finn? Or should I just try out one of my mahogany's - one is a Lanikai Sailor Jerry, the other an Amahi. Both of those have been ones that I've lent out to beginners who then went on to buy their own! Between uke fiddling and boat fiddling, life is pretty good.

Is there a scale size you are interested in? Kala now makes a comcert Waterman and Dolphin, and of course, there are Soprano and Tenor Outdoor Ukuleles.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

If they're inexpensive enough that you don't mind if they end up ruined, then the only other question I'd have is how hot are we talking? If it's well over 100 degrees constantly, and there's no way to shelter the uke, I'd be worried. If you can even keep it in a compartment away from direct sunlight, I'd say it'll probably be OK.

I have two of the HPL Enya ukuleles and have been very impressed. The necks are bolted on, the bodies are made out of essentially countertop material that sounds quite good, and the general quality is pretty high. I would go for one of those over a Waterman any day of the week, especially because plastic can also have issues in hotter temperatures. Here's the Enya soprano, less than $100 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/EUS-X1-Ukulel.../dp/B0749JBYD1

An Outdoor uke will take anything Texas can throw at it...heat or humidity, and could double as a paddle for your dinghy

I bought a Waterman for my niece’s bday next month. (Gotta try it out and make sure it’s OK ��). I dropped the action down and put on some Martin strings. It plays quite good and sounds fine considering it’s ASB plastic. I’m a concert fan so got that size. With the fluorocarbon strings it seems pretty indestructible. A lot more than a dolphin.

Have fun and happy sailing

X2 on an Outdoor Ukulele
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

Quote Originally Posted by actadh View Post
    X2 on an Outdoor Ukulele
    x3 - their Outdoor Uke in Tenor size is much better than their Soprano in my opinion (and I don't like tenors normally)
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Concert Waterman, with decent strings.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Concert Waterman, with decent strings.
    To be fair, they come with Aquila Super Nylgut—which, if that was our only choice, we’d all be fine with. So I would alter that advice and say that if you go the Waterman Concert route to try the Aquilas for a while, and if they don’t appeal to you (they seem to me to be a little thicker and more rigid than other brand—and tone won’t really ever be an issue on a Waterman), then try some inexpensive strings on the fluorocarbon side of the string spectrum, like Martin M600 soprano/concert strings.

I have always tried to temper my personal preference for fluorocarbon by highlighting it is my own opinion—but with education this year, we owe Aquila a lot of thanks for their support of all string instruments and need to make sure that we don’t dismiss Super Nylguts completely. I have only been playing a couple of years but I have found the occasional new ukulele with cheap nylon strings—and it is a blessing that nearly all the major brands ship with Super Nylguts as a minimum starting point.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

I didn't say they weren't good strings, I merely suggested it be fitted with decent ones.

We all have our preferred strings, & I could have suggested them, but I thought I was being more open.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thread Information