Uke for a sailboat

Throwdown

Reaction score
Hiya, I've now acquired several ukes and find I would like to keep one on my small sailboat and not have to haul back and forth. I have a couple $75ish mahogany laminates but don't think that they would stand up to the Texas heat/humidity in an enclosed cabin. So I'm thinking Kala Waterman or Ukedelic, or the Makala Dolphin. Any others that I should look at? Eddy Finn? Or should I just try out one of my mahogany's - one is a Lanikai Sailor Jerry, the other an Amahi. Both of those have been ones that I've lent out to beginners who then went on to buy their own! Between uke fiddling and boat fiddling, life is pretty good.

If they're inexpensive enough that you don't mind if they end up ruined, then the only other question I'd have is how hot are we talking? If it's well over 100 degrees constantly, and there's no way to shelter the uke, I'd be worried. If you can even keep it in a compartment away from direct sunlight, I'd say it'll probably be OK.

I have two of the HPL Enya ukuleles and have been very impressed. The necks are bolted on, the bodies are made out of essentially countertop material that sounds quite good, and the general quality is pretty high. I would go for one of those over a Waterman any day of the week, especially because plastic can also have issues in hotter temperatures. Here's the Enya soprano, less than $100 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/EUS-X1-Ukulele-Soprano-Beginner-Polishing/dp/B0749JBYD1

I bought a Waterman for my niece’s bday next month. (Gotta try it out and make sure it’s OK ��). I dropped the action down and put on some Martin strings. It plays quite good and sounds fine considering it’s ASB plastic. I’m a concert fan so got that size. With the fluorocarbon strings it seems pretty indestructible. A lot more than a dolphin.

Have fun and happy sailing

X2 on an Outdoor Ukulele

Attachments

• out boating.jpg
    out boating.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 38
X2 on an Outdoor Ukulele

x3 - their Outdoor Uke in Tenor size is much better than their Soprano in my opinion (and I don't like tenors normally)

Concert Waterman, with decent strings. :)

To be fair, they come with Aquila Super Nylgut—which, if that was our only choice, we’d all be fine with. So I would alter that advice and say that if you go the Waterman Concert route to try the Aquilas for a while, and if they don’t appeal to you (they seem to me to be a little thicker and more rigid than other brand—and tone won’t really ever be an issue on a Waterman), then try some inexpensive strings on the fluorocarbon side of the string spectrum, like Martin M600 soprano/concert strings.

I have always tried to temper my personal preference for fluorocarbon by highlighting it is my own opinion—but with education this year, we owe Aquila a lot of thanks for their support of all string instruments and need to make sure that we don’t dismiss Super Nylguts completely. I have only been playing a couple of years but I have found the occasional new ukulele with cheap nylon strings—and it is a blessing that nearly all the major brands ship with Super Nylguts as a minimum starting point.

So this is one of my new acquisitions that is currently out on loan. http://amahiukuleles.com/product/amahi-uk130/ I paid about $60 bucks for it. What would happen to it or other cheaper laminate in a sailboat (covered cabin) that reaches 100+ degrees many days? It would get one more uke out of sight of my hubby who has no idea how many I have (7).....what are the results of hot cars and ukes?

As stated above....Outdoor Ukulele

I have a tenor that stays in the car year round. Last night it was below zero (F) and I played it before work this morning. I have done the same in the summer when interior car temps were 120(F) ish. Other than having to tune, absoutly no issues.
Worth BM' are my strings of choice and they seem to handle temp fluctuations well.
I also keep a tuning fork in the bag (don't have to worry about batteries).
Another nice thing...no need for a good gig bag. The one I use has no padding and is nothing more than a dust cover.

As you might tell...I am a big fan of Outdoor Ukuleles
just my 2 cents

As stated above....Outdoor Ukulele

I have a tenor that stays in the car year round. Last night it was below zero (F) and I played it before work this morning. I have done the same in the summer when interior car temps were 120(F) ish. Other than having to tune, absoutly no issues.
Worth BM' are my strings of choice and they seem to handle temp fluctuations well.
I also keep a tuning fork in the bag (don't have to worry about batteries).
Another nice thing...no need for a good gig bag. The one I use has no padding and is nothing more than a dust cover.

As you might tell...I am a big fan of Outdoor Ukuleles
just my 2 cents

I keep a tuning fork in my OU gig bag for the same reason! Temperature doesn't affect the uke, but it does affect the tuner batteries.

It was in the teens here and I was playing my OU that had been in the backseat while we did a grocery run to town. Had to retune slightly, but other than that it was just like playing inside rather than the passenger seat of a car.

I am normally a soprano person, but I really like the OU tenor.

Another vote for the Outdoor Ukulele. I have owned and played both tenor and soprano models. I currently have a soprano. In my opinion, they are excellent instruments and well worth the price. They're a family business and built in the USA.
Right now, their shipping times are fast too. Sometimes they get bogged down with orders and it can take a couple of weeks to get one shipped. Free Priority Mail shipping to the USA. I'm not affiliated with them, just a big fan.

Last edited:
I own a Tenor Outdoor Ukulele that I keep in the trunk of my car, and believe it would work well on your sailboat too.

x5 for the Outdoor Ukulele. That's what I carry on my sailing dinghy. Not only can you use it as a paddle but I'm pretty sure you could use it to bash pirates over the head and it would still be in tune. Try that with a wood Uke!

Gotta do it - add one more tick to the Outdoor Uke suggestion - better half got me a tenor for xmas and I've been quite happy with the way it plays and sounds. Haven't put it through it's paces in weather yet, but soon...yes, soon!

Top Bottom